This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Swim workouts still broke in 6.04

Sadly for those hoping it was fixed, it is still broke.

Firmware History / Status:
Original Firmware on watch 3.x: 
             Workouts worked BUT the count down rest timer, counted up instead infinitely.  Workaround, pressing the lap button would continue the workout just fine.

Firmware 4.x:
             Rest timer fixed.  Workouts BROKE the following ways with random characters above interval:
                          Situation 1: A repeat step would repeat infinitely.
                          Situation 2: After a successful repeat, workout would randomly jump ahead or instantly complete regardless of additional steps.

Firmware 5.07:
             Rest timer fixed.  Workouts BROKE the following ways with random characters above interval::
                          Situation 1: A repeat step would repeat infinitely.

My first workout with the new firmware, but since Situation 1 didn't improve I assume Situation 2 is also still present.

Also, these work flawlessly on the Forerunner 935.

• Sent Garmin Support an email who didn't seem to know there was an issue for anyone.  Sent my info along with example GC Workouts and saved Workouts.

Submitted additional evidence in this forum from posts from others including: https://forums.garmin.com/sports-fitness/running-multisport/f/forerunner-945-lte/290494/forerunner-945-lte-swimming-pool-workout-weird-behavior 

Final Response:

Hello eric,

An update was just launched. After checking your Garmin connect, I see that you are on the current software. However, sometimes not all versions get pushed through if they get interrupted due to a bad bluetooth connection. I would first suggest syncing with Garmin Express  to ensure that the device is completely up to date. Should there be an issue with the watch, this should correct it.

Please review the article about things that can inhibit the accuracy of the watch. Some minor inaccuracies or issues are to be expected with smart watches per design and algorithms. Tips to Improve Accuracy of Pool Swim Activities

Sigh.

• Admittedly I haven’t personally tried to reproduce your reports, but have had similar frustrating experiences with their support from time to time.

Often not acknowledging or even seeming to try some basic repeatable issue on their end - instead claiming a hard or soft reset should be attempted or even swapping a watch for an issue that really feels like it’s software (and could likely be reproduced on test watches to save consumers a waste of time with resetting and swapping).

Sorry for your troubles, holding out hope the 955 doesn’t come with an LTE option as it would feel even more dire for our desired fixes on this nearly year old product.

(and I sincerely hope they have proper signature / validity checks on their firmware package after it gets to the watch that a bluetooth connection can’t cause it to update to something that didn’t make it in as expected… then again, who knows)

• It happens to me as well! I am so annoyed by it honestly. It's one of the major selling points of the watch is to be able to swim, run and bike. I feel like the swim portion of the workout is non-existent if it can't count laps properly. If this occurred for Running, it would be a total show stopper.

• i too have been puzzled and frustrated on a few occasions where they have suggested i get a replacement watch as a potential fix to a problem. given that the problems i have raised with support has been corroborated by users here, it is highly unlikely any of the problems i've seen are hardware related.

i'm beyond frustrated that they have acknowledged that the battery saver mode doesn't match the manual and should be fixed, and yet, in 6+months since reporting it, it hasn't been addressed, yet it works fine in a ton of other watches including the older Fenix 6 and 945 watches.

• Don't want to sound like captain obvious, but your reported that to [email protected] ?
    I believe they don't quite pass much info to the devs unless there is a lot of people with the same issue..
    I believe that since the 945 lte didn't sold that much, there won't be much cases of issues also...

• I've been working with [email protected] since it has been broken since Final 4.16.

• Anyone else having the issue should go to: https://support.garmin.com/en-US/ql/?focus=topics
    And submit a support ticket for the Forerunner® 945 LTE.  After some back and four trying all the common things you have already tried, a case will be opened.

Opening my case today.

Recap

All Swim activities with repeats cause one of the following scenarios:
          1)  Infinite Loop, workout never ends.
          2)  Skips halfway through a repeat to a completely different repeat, and then abruptly ends the workout regardless of how many steps are left.
    Firmware Software: 3.07  (Shipped with my watch) - Repeats worked, rest timer BROKE- counted up instead of counted down.
    Firmware Software: 4.16 - Repeats BROKE, rest timer worked as expected w/ random characters on the rest screen, counted down.

Firmware Software: 5.07 - Repeats BROKE, rest timer worked as expected w/ random characters on the rest screen.  No change from version 4.16.

i.ibb.co/.../200.jpg

• Yep. I had a case open with them since the last update. I really thought this was hotfix worthy or at least a priority to make it into this release since it really shuts down a huge part of the watch (i.e. swim workouts).

• Yeah, I feel the same way, hopefully we can get a few more people to open a case from these forums we can get some traction.  I'm also kind of surprised that the devs don't lurk in the forums.  Over at the Corsair website, they do and usually solve the issues eventually even unbeknownst to the support ticket people.

• FWIW, I also sent a message to the Garmin Facebook group pointing to this forum post. 

They responded back last night with 'We do have a research ticket that I'd like to get you added to.'

So maybe someone is aware of it at Garmin.  Fingers crossed.

Provided all of my diagrams and Garmin folder with .FIT activities and .FIT workouts.

Todays broke workout.