Lap Swim Rest Screen - Interval Distance

When setting up my watch I reviewed the Pool Swim screens and thought the Rest Screen looked correct for my use (and believe it was default and the same as my 935?).

During swimming, however, the Interval Distance field shown on the rest screen shows as blank (three dashes) rather than providing the distance of the recently completed interval (which is what I want).

At first I assumed there could be a “last interval distance” I could use instead, but I don’t see much in the distance fields here…

Is this a bug?  Am I missing something here?  Assuming this is operating different than 935 / 945 devices it sure feels like a weird thing to break across assumed common code?

• Has there been a solution to this?  As primarily a swimmer this is not good.  If I don't hear anything in the next couple of days I shall just switch back to my trusty ol 935 and return this thing....

• I have reported the issue to customer support.  Initially, they asked me for a video demonstrating the problem, but then they said they had seen enough reports that they didn't need the video any longer.  I would be surprised not to see an update in the next release.

Personally, while I find it a bit annoying, since the distance is correct during my swim, I know when to stop, and I know what distance I just swam during the rest.  So, I can live with it for now.

• mine doesn't show interval time or distance while I'm swimming and half the time won't even let me start drill mode unless I stop and restart the whole activity.  I reset the swim settings to default (even though I hadn't changed anything)  It worked fine until the last update.  (although it only shows whole seconds rather than 10ths and hundredths which all my previous garmins have)  I wish I could revert back to the previous firmware.  I am tempted to reset the whole watch, but that includes pairing to my power meters and such that I don't really want to do unless I know it will fix the issue.  I will have to swim with my 935 today which is sad considering I just spent $700 on a 4 year newer upgrade...  Disappointed

• That's interesting behavior, and I think different from what I'm seeing.

I do see interval time and distance while swimming.  My main swim screen is configured as default.  If you are not at least seeing interval time, then perhaps a reset is needed.

You do make an interesting point about 10ths and 100ths.  It looks like the timer includes 100ths, but the interval time does not. 

• Agreeing with mark on this one - my only real noted issue was that the rest screen did not show the previous interval distance.  Otherwise my recorded data, lengths and time seemed fine (so it seems minor to me, but still needing to be fixed).

• I did reset the watch...  Twice..  Second time with no syncing to ensure previous Connect data isn't messing things up....  Now it shows inteval time, but still leaves the distance at 3 dashes...  I've just been swimming with my 935 which works perfectly.  That's kind of sad that I have to do that, but whatever.  Garmin told me this isn't an issue with all the 945lte's, so that bothers me that there is something wrong with mine...  There must be a difference in hardware.  They'll send me a new one, but I have to buy it which will then be refunded when they get mine back.  I'll probably do that, but it's frustrating.  I don't use the lte services, music, wallet, ect...  I just like the size, battery, and quicker processor.  It should be important that the basics work on a watch like this...

• I think I found a bug that may be related to the behavior that Nsokerbloom is seeing.

If my last interval of a pool swim is a drill, and then I stop my swim.  During my next swim activity, the watch will measure no distance.  I have to power cycle the watch to get it to measure distance again.

Note that if I do a drill in the middle of a swim (between two swim intervals), this doesn't happen.  I think it only happens if I hit stop at the end of my drill and then start a new activity (typically the next day).

It's happened twice in a row now, so I assume this is repeatable.

I am going to try to create a video of this behavior (likely on dry land), and report to Garmin.

• Just discovered an interesting workaround to the drill bug, in case anyone else is experiencing it.

If your last interval is a drill.  Hit pause to end the drill.  This will take you to the drill screen, but paused.  Now move to the rest screen.  Then stop the activity.  Your next activity will record correctly.

If you hit stop while still on the drill screen (whether the drill is running or paused), your next swim activity will fail to record any distance.

• They sent me a new watch.  It's the same situation.  I'm pretty sure every unit on this firmware (which can't be rolled back) has this problem.  I guess most people just don't use it for proper poolYumorkouts.  I typically end my swim with some cool down drills so I deal with this often.  Swam a 500 warmup today.  No credit for that.  Yum  My original Vivoactive, 735, 945,fenix 5 pro and 6 pro all worked perfectly in the pool every time. Even providing 100th of the second.  I'm confused as to why a triathlon watch is cool with failing at one of those 3 things. I have no interest in the music storage, safety tracking, lte features, Garmin pay ect.  The size, battery, and better hr/GPS is why I like this thing.  Let's hope it's an easy fix for the next firmware release.