This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Crash and corrupt FIT file during pool swimming activity

Yesterday I did a Pool Swim activity and during the 5th lap my Forerunner 935 crashed to the blue triangle screen. After a couple minutes it restarted itself and I was able to start a new Pool Swim activity; that one worked fine.

The crash left a corrupt FIT file on the device (attached here). I examined it using the Fit File Repair Tool and there's not much data. It does contain valid time stamps but almost nothing else, it didn't even save the activity type. There is an ERR_LOG.BAK file from the time of the crash but I don't know what it means.

Has anyone else seen a similar problem? I know there were intermittent crashing issues with older firmware versions but I'm using the latest 14.10. I chatted with Garmin support and they weren't interested in investigating the root cause as a possible firmware defect until it happens multiple times. Instead they just wanted me to delete all the activity and other files. So I'm checking here to see if others have also run into crashes and file corruption like that.

I was swimming in a 25 yd pool and wearing a HRM-Swim chest strap.

9C5G4251.zip

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 4 years ago

sorry to hear about your mishap

technically there is nothing wrong with the fit file itself

it recorded 4 minutes of nothing, only timestamps without any data from any sensor

have no knowledge about the err_log.bak content

there are other places to find log files on your watch

look inside apps and debug folders

Instead they just wanted me to delete all the activity and other files.

good thing to check how many files your ACTIVITY folder contains

when many files time for a backup/clean operation

suggest you contact Garmin Forerunner team via the beta link here forerunner-935-beta-14-72-is-now-available

tell them about your mishap, zip your entire device content and send the email

happy & safe sporting

• Thanks but I was running the GA 14.10 firmware, not the beta firmware, so I don't think it would be appropriate to contact the beta team.

The ERR_LOG.BAK file is in the DEBUG directory. There isn't anything recent in the APPS/LOGS directory. There are 193 files in the ACTIVITY directory.