This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Newbie Interval training question- is there a way of using the lap button on the Garmin so that when I press it I can have a timer start?

What I want to do is:

1. start an interval with a lap press (run)
  2. Press the lap button when I stop, a timer is displayed and counts the rest period on the watch
  3. I then press the lap button again to start the next interval.

I don't want to create a workout- this would be more varied interval training.

• Would using "Lap Time" on one of your screens meet your needs?  The watch will, of course, still be recording data during intervals and rest periods.

• Unfortunately not. That displays the time up until the lap key is pressed. I’m looking for a way for a timer to start once the lap key is pressed.

• ...but the Lap Time is the time in the current lap - so it will reset with each press of the lap button.

So for the first "lap" (after pressing start until you press lap) it will match the activity time (also just called... "Time" I think).  After pressing Lap it will reset to 0:00 and count up until the next time you press lap.  Of course auto lap may make things weird for intervals that exceed an auto lap threshold (but that's why many people turn off auto lap for workout modes).

I guess I must not understand your desired usage quite right if that isn't close to what you are looking for, sorry.