This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Open water swim issue

Since few days ago, my 935 device won't measure accurately open water swim distance. It's basically an euphemism for won't measure at all. I swam today 2.5 km over 1 hour and measured distance was 3 m. Since two of my friends who own 935 also have the same issue for the last couple of weeks, I wanted to see if this is a common thing with 935. I don't recall any software updates that would be the root cause. Had an olympic distance triathlon race on Saturday and everything was fine then.

• the issue is well known and has been already shared on this forum. However, i don't know if Garmin aknowledged it, but they'll hopefully correct this in the next update... 

• The 935 has generally been fine for OW swimming apart form the times when Garmin have severely messed with the GPS. Given the complaints that are happening with the more recent devices that are running the Sony chipset, I can't help but think the problem might lie with fixes for those devices being 'inadvertently' applied to the 935 that are affecting the different chipset.

Make sure you report this to Garmin. There's no point hoping they'll do something. You need to make sure they are aware of the problem.

• Funny, but apparently I've found some workaround: it seems to track my OW swimming much better if I start the triathlon measurement. Instead of going through all of the legs, I just stop it once I'm done with my swim. If you're affected with the same issue, you should try it yourself. I will definitely report it to Garmin once I'm back from my vacation. At the moment, I just have to bear with this frustration.

• Wow! That seems to actually be working! This morning I had to try out a new wetsuits and only did two shorter swim of about 100 m, but both where very accurate compared to previous measurements. If I swim OW with the OW function in the 935, I will average around 1:50/100m (I usually swim around 1:30/100). But reading your post, I tested to use Triathlon swim part, and I am back at 1:30/100 m again! 

I just swam 2 separate swims of around 100 m, but I will definitely test this more thorough later today!

• Did an open water swim the other day which was reasonably accurate.

So it's not borked for everyone.

connect.garmin.com/.../3860494390

GPS Normal (GPS-Only) software version 13.30.

If you start the swim before the GPS is "green" I guess it will have a very hard time picking up in the water. Or if you swim in a way so that the watch is not above the water.

• Swam open water last night, as accurate as I'd expect it to be. No accuracy complaints for any of my open water swims this year.

I'm on fw 12.20, GPS 2.50, I'm not updating as all has worked perfectly since installing.

• I have not had an accurate swim in WEEKS. I tried connecting with Garmin and they basically told me that I need to save all my inaccurate swims and that the issue was not known....It OBVIOUSLY IS!!! This is so frustrating as I just got this watch in March

• Hi I feel your frustration. I open water swim 4 times per week on average all year round and had problems where the 935 was often recording ridiculously low distances. It still happens from time to time. I had some success by monitoring the satellite signal and making sure I did not lose this signal while treading water mid-swim. To do this I added an OW display that included the Satellite signal strength Icon. If I see the signal getting low I move the watch to the surface. Also make sure EPO data is current.

• Why not posting a link to one of your inaccurate swim recordings? Nobody here can comment or help without having a look what is wrong with your activities

• Beim freieasserschwimmen wird bei mir leider auch nur 0 Meter angezeigt, ebenso beim SUP fahren. Ich werde dies garmin melden. Hat jemand hier schon  Erfahrung gesammelt. Beim Fahrradfahren zeigt er mir leider auch 0 km an. Wobei dies in der Vergangenheit funktioniert hat.