This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Optical sensor Damage??

Guy's
Have any of you seen damage to the optical sensor similar to what is in the attached picture. I charged the watch just over a week ago and there were no crack, the watch has been on my wrist since then. The only reason it was off my wrist was to charge it and I noticed the marks. ciq.forums.garmin.com/.../1391464.jpg
  • My 2 months Forerunner 945 start showing damage.

Come on garmin???

• My 935 has got the cracks on the sensor - for those who have already had this, is there any impact on performance?  Mine does not seem to impact on the working of the watch - I have never found the optical sensor to be great anyway so use a Wahoo Tickr.  Having had issues with the altitude on previous models, I don't use the 935 for swimming (except races) - I got an old 920 for swim sets.

I am part minded to ask for a RMA but if the performance is not impacted on not sure why I would be needing it (other then I appreciate that for items this expensive it shouldn't happen anyway)

• there is probably minor impact on the HR accuracy. But since the signal is very noisy anyway (thats just how it is with OHR), i don't think the difference is huge.

On the other hand, i recently had some occassional HR spikes. When resting, the watch suddenly jumped to ca. 240 bpm. Could be a software bug though.

This being said, if i were you i would take the chance and get a replacement device because this will improve reselling value. I am on my 3rd now and the guarantee period is over. So i have to sell it in this condition eventually.

• A friend of mine had the same. He went to the dealer and they gave him a new one.

• I'm having problems with my 9 months old 935. I wear it constantly apart from charging but change bands frequently. I've noticed a little crack around Xmas but the accuracy of the sensor seems about the same. I'm running with a slightly lower heartrate than a few months ago but that could just be my fitness improving. I'm really disappointed to have to do warranty repairs/replacement after how well I look after the watch...

• Well. I can join the club. Today I noticed the first cracks in my heart rate sensor. My watch is almost 3 years old, but I don't think that's a great excuse.

Not that I really need ORM. It doesn't work for me during workouts and even the rest heart rate, which I'm very interested in, is not that reliable (Garmin reports a higher number than I regularly see measured, but thats not a sensor error but one of the many bugs in Garmins software).

To bad the competition is also not very attractive. Suunto is either very big (Suunto 9) or a Android wear device (Suunto 7) and Polar still lacks navigation feature which I do use quite a lot. 

Well, as long as the battery still holds I keep my FR935.