This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Garmin vs Wahoo speed sensors with 935

Are there any benefits to staying with the Garmin cycling speed sensor compared to a Bluetooth sensor, like the Wahoo, with my 935?

I have a Garmin sensor attached to one of my indoor training cycles and use tracking speed and miles for Garmin Connect and Strava. I need another one for a second bike and noticed that the Wahoo would also work with Zwift, something I don’t presently use but may as I adjust my running to cycling ratio.

For anyone who has used both, is the Wahoo as reliable as the Garmin? Is there any reason not to go the Bluetooth route? Thanks.
  • The only downside that I know of is that if the Wahoo is a Bluetooth-only sensor (not dual ANT+ and BT) then it can only connect to one thing at a time. If you are connected to your computer for Zwift you cannot also record at the same time on the 935.

Since ANT+ can support multiple devices watching the data, I went the other direction and bought an ANT+ USB dongle to use with my laptop to read my Garmin speed/cadence sensor. This way I can use it with TrainerRoad and my 935 at the same time.
  • To touch on the consistency of the information coming from the sensor, I can only speak about the Garmin devices here since I have never used the Wahoo equivalent. I have used both the speed and cadence combo on my bike over the years. When they work, they work just fine (in particular the cadence sensor). The speed sensor though has not always been the most consistent. EIther the tire size did not factor in (manually inputted, but disregarded for some reason) or auto-calibrated (even though I had manually set it), or the connection was lost (ant + disconnects, which didn't happen much, but still does from time to time and from watch to watch), the information it would return back was sometimes just bonkers.

For example last summer I went for a fairly leisurely ride within my hometown (20miles Approx, average speed 17mph, about 1hr, 20mins), I come home and sync and apparently due to how the speed sensor read the data, I somehow had cleared 40,000 KM and achieved Mach 1 on my trip (which is over 700mph and Garmin gave me badges for...and they have these for what reason?). The cadence info was just fine as was my physical information (HR, Calories, etc...), just the speed sensor went crazy.

Like I stated before, I don't know much about the quality of the Wahoo sensors but I bet someone has done a review or comparison to the Garmin ones.
  • Thanks for the feedback.

I've been using the Garmin sensor on an Assault AirBike and it working fine so far. I manually calibrated the wheel size so that the speed and distance match the console readout. I'm assuming it's not accurate, but I'm using it more to gauge relative effort. For that, it's been consistent.

I've been considering the Wahoo one for my second bike mainly so I could also use it with Zwift when I get bored watching Netflix. But if it's unable to connect to both my iPad and the 935 at the same time, or if it lacks the consistency that the Garmin one has (for me), then I'd likely just go with another Garmin.
  • This Wahoo Speed/Cadence sensor supports BLE as well as ANT+:
    https://www.rei.com/product/897753/w...65dd3d0730fd92
    and this one (speed only) as well:
    https://eu.wahoofitness.com/devices/...h-speed-sensor
    You can use these sensors dual-mode (smartphone via BLE and Garmin watch via ANT+ at the same time)

I use a Wahoo RPM dual-mode BLE/ANT+ magnetless cadence-only sensor (mounted on a shoe) which works great when used as an ANT+ sensor. I must say, I could not get it to work very well with a Samsung tablet via BLE, but as the tablet supported ANT+ anyway I didn't invest a lot of time in it.
  • Good day Patrick

I did the same for my assault bike.  Can you possibly remember what your manual value was?  I manually adjusted my value to 1111 mm but don't think that's close enough