This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Hrm-swim and hrm-tri heart rate data not coming through in Strava

Hey All

HRM data comes through fine in GC, hrm-swim data doesn't come through in strava at all and hrm-tri data comes through as 1 single hrm or maybe two. Anyone having similar issues? Anyone know a fix?

Thanks

Dan
  • You need to raise an issue with Strava and inform them that they are not processing the fit file correctly.
  • Nztridan Interesting - I sync my stuff to Strava but rarely use it these days - but you're correct - any activities I have with either HRM-Tri or the Swim have no Heart rate data. I'm surprised that more people haven't posted about it that tends to suggest to me that lots of Garmin users stick with Garmin Connect (and its many foibles)
  • So even slower to fix issues than Garmin!!
  • Nztridan looks like HRM-Tri info is coming through ok to Strava now for running and showing Heart Rate for duration of run
  • I just went back and looked at my data from yesterday, Feb 2018, and some random ones from last year. All recorded with 935 and HRM-Tri. Every one of them had correct Heart rate data throughout the activity in Strava and in Garmin connect. Runs and Bikes. The last swim I did with HR was in Oct 2017 with the HRM-Tri and did not show HR data.
  • I don't see an official Garmin comment in here, but someone on Strava claims this is a Garmin issue, not a Strava issue (as suggested by several commenters here): https://support.strava.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/115000129530/comments/360000158630

Garmin - what you say you? Either way, it does seem ridiculous that this issue isn't resolved.
  • someone on Strava claims this is a Garmin issue, not a Strava issue .

Must be true then.

On the other side of the coin, there's this comment from another post stretching back 3+ years about swim activities not showing heart rate (see page 8). Worth noting DCR appeared to identify the root cause 3 years ago and it's still unresolved, and it's the primary reason I jacked in my strava premium membership (along with countless others on the same thread).

https://support.strava.com/hc/en-us/...im-activities?

The root cause of it not working is all perfectly well described at the end DC Rainmakers excellent review of the HRM-Swim and HRM-Tri from 3 years ago - https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2015/11/...ri-review.html

"3rd party sites (Training Peaks, Strava, etc…) are having challenges consuming the swimming activity files generated when the HRM-TRI/SWIM straps. This is because Garmin essentially appends the HR data to the existing workout file, rather than make it appear seamless. This is using a slightly updated version of the ANT+ specification that almost nobody has implemented yet. On one hand it’s good to see Garmin being innovative, but on the other hand they should have ensured 3rd party compatibility ahead of time (even if via some shim process). Or at least worked with those companies to ensure supporting of the metrics.

The ‘fix’ for that is that these 3rd party companies have to update their sites to use the recently released FITSDK version (16.30) in order to support the appended HR data. I’m sure that’ll happen sooner or later, but it’s kinda a bummer for now."

• The ‘fix’ for that is that these 3rd party companies have to update their sites to use the recently released FITSDK version (16.30) in order to support the appended HR data.

I doubt that's the issue here, as the problem persists for 3 years now, and not only Strava, but other platforms like TrainingPeaks are affected as well.
    I don't think TP can be accused of being slow or lagging behind when it comes to technology... It most definitely looks like a Garmin issue.
    I don't think TP can be accused of being slow or lagging behind.

Training Peak's response to adding support for Garmin's SwimHR

10 May, 2017
    We are keen on making this happen! Thanks for your continued patience and please know that we are doing our best to make this happen!

:rolleyes: