This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Wanted : Specific HR icon for internal and external sensor

Former Member
Former Member
got fooled with a nice low heart-rate during today's outside activity
...me was verry happy
...me thought me was in top form

935 was worn on top of a long sleeved shirt together with hrm-run (not yet paired...was first time wtih the 935)

darn 935 got heartbeat through the shirts sleeve :)
looked three times if the led's were on...saw nothing...or I did not wish to see the light

would be nice Garmin modified the heart icon to differentiate between internal HR and external HR source

or is there already a foolproof procedure I could use in my checklist :)

cannot find the link to submit the idea
  • If the HRM-run is paired then it takes precedence over optical. A foolproof procedure would be to go into the sensor list and see if the HRM-Run is connected (which it should be if you are wearing it and your have paired it and it is not switched off in the settings)
  • What Chunkywizard said: switch the external sensor connection to off when you aren't using it and turn it on when you are wearing it and ready to use it. This way you can avoid erroneous external sensor connections like this.

This is also NOT just something that happens with the 935.
  • darn 935 got heartbeat through the shirts sleeve

Magically get HR reading from the optical HR too when the device is on the handlebars and no chest strap. Amazing what these devices can do.

But, in all seriousness, I've found the automatic detection of a paired chest strap to be almost absolute. I think there might be some wobbliness if you put a chest strap on after selecting an activity but before you start. Never quite sure of the status at that point. As a result, I always make sure to put my chest strap on before I select the activity.

I would be upset if I felt that I had to 'cripple' the automatic detection of an external HR sensor every time by turning it off/on before each use.
  • I’m with Philip here. No need to turn off the HRM-run Sensor in settings. If you don’t have it on then the 935 with use optical. Just pair it and forgot.
  • I agree with you OnlyTwo. It would be a nice touch to be able to see the source of the HR data by having different coloured icons. But alas as someone once said, life is not meant to be easy.
  • Shortly after you put the HR strap on and select an activity, a message comes up telling you that the external HR strap is selected. What's difficult about that?
  • Phil you either did not read what I wrote or you did not comprehend its meaning.
  • Once the activity is in progress, there are no icons. The indication of HR source occurs before the activity starts. What's difficult about that?

You either did not read my post or understand it's meaning...
  • I love originality in a response.
    When an activity is active and I look at the HR data what is its source? Is the strap still connected and providing the reading displayed? Is it possible for the strap to disconnect or the battery expire during an activity? What is wrong with providing confirmation?
    When I start the HR widget and look at the 4 hour plot what is the source of the data? Couldn't the x-axis have a colour to indicate the source of the data?
    I know if there is a hole in this plot I went for an open water swim at that time.
    When I look at the HR widget reading wouldn't it be nice to see that the HR reading of 250 is the result of connecting to the swim/tri strap that I put away in my bag?
    You Garmin Masters etc love defending the indefinsible. You guys defend mediocrity before even seeing that maybe the status quo is wrong or can be improved.

??
  • Former Member
    0 Former Member over 6 years ago
    I agree with you Nicko-1. When I start an activity using my Tempe sensor my watch will tell me the sensor is connected as stated above, BUT it will drop off and default to the internal sensor and reconnect later. I have no idea that this happens until the activity is completed and synced where I can see the discrepancy. The HR strap can do this also. So, having an icon showing what sensor is connected is a great idea.