This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Treadmill running and Strava issues

I've been using the treadmill quite often at the moment since the weather outside isn't exactly ideal running weather, but as a user of Strava I find it quite infuriating.

When I save and calibrate the treadmill run on the 935, the calibrated workout is uploaded to Garmin Connect fine, but the original workout is uploaded to Strava.

I then have to delete the activity on Strava with the inaccurate distance/pace data and add a manual activity with the correct data. But I lose the heart rate data from the original activity and there is no way of adding this data to a manual activity.

I hope Garmin is reading this and will address this problem in a future update.
  • Why don't you upload the activity FIT file from your 935 to Strava?

Also why is it "inaccurate" in the first place? OK will never be spot on but a calibrated foot pod will generally enable to get very close to what the treadmill says assuming, of course, you believe that.

Also I am getting into Zwift Running of late. This allows you to do a calibration of a foot pod before you start.
  • Why don't you upload the activity FIT file from your 935 to Strava?

I haven't thought of that. That would work, but it involves plugging my watch into the computer and logging into Strava, and you still have to delete the activity that GC Mobile syncs automatically. So it's a bit of a pain really. It's a shame there isn't an option to prevent certain types of activity from automatically syncing with Strava.

It's inaccurate by around 30 secs per mile because I only use the 935 and HRM-Tri strap without the footpod as I don't have one of those. I might consider buying one if they are as accurate as you claim they are.

I haven't heard of Zwift Running. How does that work? I don't have a treadmill at home.
  • For Zwift Running I goto my gym with an iPad for running the Zwift app, BLE foot pod (a Stryd) and a BLE HR strap (Tickr X). You could use all Garmin sensors with an ANT+ stick and a laptop PC or Mac.

If you calibrate a foot pod should certainly do better than 30 secs per mile "out". Hopefully get it close enough so don't need this adjustment.
  • I know this question is really old! But I built a tool for Garmin -> Strava users to fix this issue and a lot of people are already signed up and finding value in it if you want to check it out!!