This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Detergent and plugs for charger port also screen protector.

I am not sure how much detergent is the right amount for weekly watch cleaning as it says "too much" can be a problem.....How much is the "right amount"? Or do you just use water and a soft cloth / soft brush on the connection and also? The altimeter hole? I can see that getting gunked up.

Also does any use the dust plugs? Will the Fenix ones work? Not about waterproof. I know the watch is waterproof but worried about corrosion from my skin oils.

I know from years of wearing earrings/necklaces/rings etc that the oils from my skin will corrode nickel and gold plate [fortunately no issues with silicone or plastics] so I really want to take care of this. It was, for me, a major purchase and I hope to keep it a good while.

Decided not to take on vacation because I don't have a screen protector yet (It seems the Exum looks pretty good from reviews and this forum?)

• my personal SGDCP (Standard Garmin Device Care Plan) is the following

1. do not take off during shower after some runs
    2. clean screen with my running glove/ shirt cuff (depending if I am running or in the office) when I am unable to see screen clearly
    3. do not care about it any other time

I do have screen protector, not sure if it is needed (prefer to have one, though).
    No big use to have this dust cap for charging port (have one, don't use).

You really make things much more complicated then they deserve
  • I wear mine 24/7 and have since April 1. I only take it off to charge it so I sleep with it and it gets showered every day. I have no dirt or gunk or anything in the port or in that little hole and I don't do anything special to clean the watch other than to wipe it with whatever sleeve I have on. Pretty sure they make it to avoid corrosion or any problems with skin oils or moisture. It's meant to be worn the way that I wear it. I do have the Exuun screen protector though, but I wouldn't leave it home for vacation if I didn't have one. It's a precaution but I think the watch glass is pretty tough. The screen protector does keep the fingerprints off better though. Enjoy your new watch!
  • I rinse in cold water after swimming, and use a tiny amount of hand soap after I sweat during a workout. I have had a film protector since I got it 10 months ago. It has some small scuffs from daily use and the charging clip, but it looks fine and I can change when needed. However, in July I had a hard wrist-to-wrist collision with someone with a 910xt in the pool. It resulted in a small hairline crack (noticeable to me but not others unless I point it out). A glass protector would have shattered, and may or may not have prevented the crack but probably would reduce the chances. The protector keeps it sealed and watertight (I swim ~4x per week), so functionally no problems. Garmin service offered a refurbished replacements for $110, but I will only do that if I ever have a subsequent problem. I agree, I'd chance it and take on vacation anyway.
  • I am on vacation now and it has been cool enough for long sleeved shirts so it has been great. I charged it up Tuesday before we left and it is still at 76%. I am impressed! Everything about this watch impresses me. The altimeter, well maybe not that and stair counting but for the info I want.....it is great.
  • Thanks for the heads up!