This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Burn Skin from Optical Sensor

I have a burn on my wrist and I think the culprit is the optical sensor on my Garmin 935.

I have already considered that it may be a mechanical rash from the device rubbing me constantly, but I don't think so because this isn't my first sports watch and none have caused a rash on my skin in the past. Also, I clean the watch thoroughly after each activity so I know that it isn't caused by salt, sweat, or dirt. I really think it may be the senor burning my skin. I wear the watch constantly, but have switched it to my dominant wrist to see if the burn shows up on the other arm. I suspect it will.

I have no allergies and the 935 is plastic so I can't imagine what it could be if not the sensor burning my skin.

Has anyone else run into this? I have seen a couple of people post a similar issue either here or elsewhere; I even saw one with pictures identical to mine. I have not, however, seen resolution so I decided to ask. Please see the attached photo and let me know if you have a similar experience or whether you have the cause or "fix" for this issue.

Thanks!

RCA

• It appears the rash is offset from center and directly under the charge connector. If so you probably have a nickel or other metal allergy.
  • If so, it can be solved with the charging port dustcover being sold on Amazon.

• Hi There,

I had the same problem when i good to bed i swap the watch to my other wrist to give your other one some air and rest. For me this did solve the problem.

Take care,
    Mike
  • I wear mine 24/7 and usually tighten and then forget to loosen after a run. I've had similar experiences in the past. I don't think the LED lights could cause a burn as they won't be putting out any UVA or UVB wavelength light.

Probably just irritation:
    https://gizmodo.com/are-we-doomed-to-get-rashes-from-our-fitness-trackers-1686681542

I agree. It's hard to imagine that the LED could burn the skin, but I am at a loss to explain it. A couple things are certain: It's not too tight. It's not dirty. It's not my only watch, and this has never happened before with any of my other sports watches.

An interesting paragraph from the article that you linked was, "[t]he main culprit was likely methacrylate, a chemical in the Force's adhesive that is also found in everything from bone cement to cosmetics. Unfortunately, some people are also allergic to it."

Perhaps its something allergenic in the materials?

Ill call Product Support as Garmin suggested above to try and get to the bottom of the issue.

Thanks!
  • rca411 We would recommend that you contact Product Support directly so that we can investigate this with you. You can contact us through phone, email, or chat to speak to a member of our Product Support team.

Thanks. Will.
  • rca411

It's not too tight

Too tight is relative. But if it's tight enough to register HR from the sensor then arguably it's tight enough to keep the sensor protrusion in constant contact with the skin.

never happened before with any of my other sports watches

How many of your other sports watches have optical HR that you use 24/7
  • I have had a rash in the past till I started taking it off and cleaning and drying it everytime I shower before putting it back on. I do, however, have a small area directly under the optical sensor that the skin appears tanned in relation to the white skin where the sun can't reach it.:rolleyes:
  • bubbleb

That's an interesting observation. Is the tanned area visible in a photo that you would post?
  • I have the same issue with my Garmin Vivosmart HR, only mine leaves a raised blister. I actually have a crescent-shaped scar from the last time this happened.
  • Former Member
    0 Former Member over 5 years ago
    Allianty, please contact our Product Support teams so that we can discuss this with you directly.