This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Question: Disable Optical HR While Cycling?

Short Question: Is there any way to automatically disable (or not record) the internal optical HR sensor while in the default cycling activity mode?

Long Question:

I got the FR 935 a few days ago, and like others have mentioned, the optical HR sensor is creating garbage readings from the Quick Release mount during rides:

Ride 1 Example: https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/2063175692 , https://www.strava.com/activities/1219836770/analysis
Ride 2 Example: https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/2067439962 , https://www.strava.com/activities/1221130312/analysis

I know I can turn off the sensor manually before each activity, but I feel like it should be easier than that, especially considering the price of the QR kit has increased and you need new bike mounts at a 90? angle different from previous versions. It would also be nearly impossible to find an optical HR setting during T2 of a triathlon, and I already get enough crap for slow transitions anyways.

I could strip out HR data from the .FIT file post-activity, but this is also messy with all the auto-syncing different platforms do these days. I'd have to delete and re-upload to about 5 different services.

When in pool swim mode, the optical HR turns off automatically, which is what I'd expect since it can't get accurate readings. I'd even be alright if this behavior was consistent across all sports. I tend to pace swims by trying not to drown, pace biking by power and cadence, and running by pace and perceived effort. Although depending on run HR accuracy (first run will be tomorrow), it might be a "nice to have" for running. I'd much rather have no HR data than inaccurate data though. As of right now, I'm mainly using the optical HR for resting/sleep HR values, which seems to be fairly accurate.

If there is no option to do this, is it possible to submit a feature request?

Thanks,
Kyle
  • There's no current option to disable WHR during cycling unless you wear a chest strap.

need new bike mounts at a 90? angle different from previous versions.

I guess it depends on what you are upgrading from. My 920 mounts work fine. I think you can turn the mount on the bike through 90 degrees anyway depending on whether you mount it on the stem or the bar. Therefore can't see why you'd need new mounts unless the fitting has changed between your previous device and the 935.

Yes it is possible to submit a feature request.
  • What I do is use the OHR for "resting/sleep HR values" just like you but use an HRM-Tri otherwise then will would have accurate HR all the time in running, cycling, OWS whatever.

Not clear from what you said whether you are actually interested in HR in activities anyway
  • There's no current option to disable WHR during cycling unless you wear a chest strap.

Thanks for the answer, I'll put in a feature request.

The rest of this answer is just me better explaining my background and where my complaints are coming from.

Therefore can't see why you'd need new mounts unless the fitting has changed between your previous device and the 935.

I previously had a Garmin 310XT (my 3rd one died due to water getting inside the unit while running in the rain) which used a quarter turn mount quick release mount, but like the 920XT, the "blades" of the mount were orientated up and down. I used a custom TT bike mount that clamped onto my aerobar extensions that had an arm extending between the middle of the bars. The 935 has horizontally oriented "blades" it unfortunately wasn't possible to rotate my mount like the standard quarter turn mounts that come in the box.

What I do is use the OHR for "resting/sleep HR values" just like you but use an HRM-Tri otherwise then will would have accurate HR all the time in running, cycling, OWS whatever.

Not clear from what you said whether you are actually interested in HR in activities anyway

Sorry for not being clear. To expand a little, I don't like wearing heart rate straps during activities. I've had 5 straps die on me, and I'm tired of throwing money at new ones. Ironically, the only one I have that still works is from a FR 305, but even then I still don't like using it that much. I find I'm not able to run quite as fast with the slight compression around the chest area, and I personally don't feel like I benefit from HR numbers. That being said, it's very frustrating to have fake heart rate numbers recorded during activities, along with a lot of other metrics that are calculated wrong off of those. I'd prefer not to see any HR metrics or HR-related metrics at all for activities. However, I'd be alright if wrist HR was accurately recorded on the run as it doesn't require a chest strap. If there's no run HR, that'd be fine too. I just don't want incorrect HR.

That being said, the idea of tracking resting/sleeping heart rate is intriguing, and it actually seems to be accurate most of the time. I want to try and take advantage of these features since my watch has an optical HR sensor. If there would have been a FR 930 (ex. a 935 without wrist HR), I would have much rather bought that, but I feel obligated to use the wrist HR now that it's there. If a way to disable inaccurate HR values during an activity isn't added, I'll probably end up disabling the HR sensor and being upset with the decision to only sell the watch in a HR variant, but I guess that's life sometimes.