This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Backlight by gesture not working

Hi,

it seems the gesture based backlight on my 935 stopped working for some reason. During my first two runs everything worked fine but now it only works when i use the button. I turned on "gesture" in the backlight options both during activities and in watchmode but the screen stays dark when i turn my wrist. Soft reset did not help either. Am I missing something? I do most of my runs during the night and it's kind of annoying to use the backlight button everytime I want to take a look at the screen.
  • Just a thought, but are you perhaps running during your set sleep hours? The gesture is disabled during the sleep hours that you have set in Garmin Connect.
  • Thank you, I think you're right. Backlight suddenly worked when I tried this morning and my run was during the set sleep hours. How can I avoid this in the future? Shall I set some random sleep hours that don't interfere with my running hours?
  • Thank you, I think you're right. Backlight suddenly worked when I tried this morning and my run was during the set sleep hours. How can I avoid this in the future? Shall I set some random sleep hours that don't interfere with my running hours?

Afaik it's not the sleep hours per se, but the fact that Do Not Disturb is automatically enabled during that time.

I think if you disable Do Not Disturb mode manually during your running/sleeping hours, that should do the trick. (Hold the Light button and scroll to the moon icon.)
  • I am also having trouble with the gesture working. I haven't pin pointed the exact cause. I do know that if you start an activity (run) and gestures don't turn on the backlight, then going into the settings menu, turning gesture from On, to off, to on, makes it work for the rest of the activity.
  • Former Member
    0 Former Member over 6 years ago
    Issues with the gestures during activity not working as expected is an issue that we are working on. There are a couple of workarounds in the meantime, such as what PatFelstead described. One is also to have the gesture setting turned on for During Actiivty and Watch Mode. If the setting is turned on for both modes then the gestures work as expected during the activity. We are hoping to have this resolved in the next software update.
  • Just received my watch yesterday and the backlight issue is still a problem. I’ve tried the work around suggested and nothing works. I’m getting ready to return this watch because it’s effectively unusable. Has the software issue been fixed? 

• Still seems to be an issue on the FR245M, possibly only for workouts. Backlight set to "after sunset".

• I have the same problem with my Forerunner 955 after the update (October 2022)!