This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Swim lap errors

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1702464298

I see 5 different times in the workout linked above where it did not count my laps correctly. It was off by 100 yards in a 300 yard set in one set.... Anyone else seeing this? I could not find anyone else posting about this in the forum so I thought I would ask...
  • I am seeing this as well. I had much better accuracy with my 920XT and my VivoActive HR in counting laps.

My last swim was a steady continuous swim and the 935 missed turns 5 or 6 times. All laps were freestyle and I do not do flip turns. However, my 920 and VAHR rarely missed a turn.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1696847510

Hoping that future updates will improve this.
  • Interesting, I swim 3-4 times a week and I think since I got the 935 the day after release day it has only ever missed one lap.

The secret appears to be a strong push off & glide in the opposite direction.

I use this tool to correct the swim afterwards if it has miscounted lengths.

http://swimmingwatchtools.com/
  • I've noticed that my 935 is much more touchy than my Swim. The few times I've had mis-counts have all been user error.

So, I work on having a smooth long pull, nothing choppy, and definitive stops, turns and push off.
  • Like others i find the accuracy of the count requires a nice glide off the wall.

The only times i have had a misscount is if I have done something unusual in a length, like adjusting goggles or something that feels like a glide to the watch.
  • I upgraded the firmware to v2.95 and reset the 935. There was only 1 missed turn during today's swim.
    I can live with that! :) Hopefully it stays that way.
  • Good to know that it gets better with the beta firmware. But I don't want to do beta on my brand new $500 watch... :p

I'll wait till it is issued for general use and just make the corrections mid workout if need be.
  • I have only ever swam with the 2.95sw but have never had an issue with missed laps. In fact it seems to be less finicky than my fenix 3hr was. I am tall and have a long smooth pull, pretty strong pushoff, and long glide from the wall though. The only times i've really had issues with any of my watches missing laps is when i stop at a wall to do something like adjust goggles, talk with someone, or some other weird thing that it has a hard time figuring out.
  • I've had lap count issues but differently, I find that if I catch up to someone in the lane and pause at all then the watch will count it as a lap and then start a new lap even though I'm still on the same lap. (my pool is often 6-7 people in a 100' length pool so we get backed up). It's really sensitive to this, I have to intentionally back off with a really slow stroke but keeping the motion going so it won't give me credit for 67 yards in only a 33 yard length.
  • Just had my first swim with mine. No laps were missed even at my crappy swim pace of 2:14ish/100m. I did get confused with the button pressing and lost a few laps because I mixed up stop and lap. But other than that, faultless.
  • Hi, I am using the Viviactive abd Vivoactive HR. Normally the counting is fine, but today I was wearing the HR according to the Manual higher up my arm and to counting was awful! Did someone else had this experience?