This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Garmin Forerunner 735XT, no Pan/Zoom option

Good evening, guys, and thanks for accepting me in this community.
I've recently purchased a Garmin Forerunner 735XT basically for its navigation features.
My problem is that a cannot save a location. Just to be clearer: I've downloaded somebody else's map as a file, added it to my favourite maps on Garmin Connect, synced it with my watch but when I open this new map I cannot visualize the menu option "Pan/Zoom".
This is what I do:

- Press Menu>>Navigation>>Routes>>My new route>>Map.

After that I can only navigate within it but even if I press for a few seconds the UP button nothing happens.
Honestly don't know what else could be done.

Thanks a lot.

Top Replies

All Replies

• I don't have the FR735XT anymore, so I'm not sure if my tips are accurate, but what you do is just a preview of your route. If you want to actually use it with the ability to pan and zoom you need to start an activity. Perhaps this manual page will guide you further:

https://www8.garmin.com/manuals/webhelp/forerunner735/EN-US/GUID-164EC8C3-0F02-415A-9694-9D95F19396AB.html

• Thank you, tmk...
    Mmm, what I want to do is only zooming the map, saving the starting point as a GPS location and then "do the course".
    How do I do the course if I don't know the precise gps location of it???
    Quite strange.

• Just select "Do the course", then start the activity, then scroll down to the map display, and there you will see your position relative to the course. If you don't see the course, beacuse you're too far away, then you can zoom out until you see it. Besides, I think there's an indication somewhere to guide you to the start of the course, but I can't remember the details.

The bottom line is you have to start an activity. Contrary to some other garmin devices, on the FR735XT course navigation doesn't work outside an activity.

• Thanks a lot, mate, but this thing is a mystery to me.
    I've done the course, started the activity but still I can't see any Pan/Zoom option.
    I keep pressing the Menu button (the one in the middle on the left hand side), but what I see is always the Zoom option.
    Well, I can always live without this feature, but, honestly speaking, this was one of the reasons I had thought about replacing my old 235 with this new one.

• but what I see is always the Zoom option.

I apologize for the confusion. As I said, I don't have the FR735XT anymore and I was writing from my memory, which quite possibly is failing me. Now that you mention it, I think there is no pan option on the FR735XT, only zoom.

• So, no option to save a GPS location? How can I double check about this issue?

• You can only save your current location. There is no way of saving any other location by selecting another point from the map. See the following section in the manual:

https://www8.garmin.com/manuals/webhelp/forerunner735/EN-US/GUID-78E8235D-D265-4EF1-814C-A2DE55E17A77.html

Point 1 means you need to physically be at the location you want to save.

• Ok, I've got it now. There's one last thing that's not clear to me though: let's suppose I've uploaded a route onto my watch, I physically go there, I know approximately that that is the route so I start doing it.
    How can I be 100% sure that that is the actual route as I cannot save the start point as a GPS position???

• I'm sorry, but I do not understand what you're trying to do.

When you start a course, you see it on the map, with your position superimposed on it. Why do you want to save the start point? How would saving a start point help you identify if that is the correct course?

• Sorry about that, mate.
    What I'm trying to do is basically:
    1) Upload the map onto my watch, which I've already done;
    2) Open and zoom it, save the starting point as a gps location;
    3) Go to the park, navigate to the gps location and do the course from there.