This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Extreme Battery Drain and Lethargic Display Screen

Please help.

My Forerunner 735XT's is about a year and a half old and the battery life went from around 2 weeks (training 5 days a week) on 100% charge. It now only lasts about 5hours, while sitting at my desk at work.

This change suddenly happened on Sunday.

I have not changed anything in my routine and only update via Bluetooth on my phone. I do not use Wifi for updates. I do not run any other devices through my watch.

The Display Screens on the watch are also very slow to change when moving between the screens, the watch also takes about 5 seconds to respond when I start/stop a workout.

I have read that all of this might be due to a software update?

I am desperate to have this resolved without having to send the watch in.

TIA
  • Try to isolate the problem by turning off bluetooth on your Garmin. Any better?
  • Hi.

I tried that and it helps only slightly when the watch is not in use. But as soon as I scroll through the widgets the battery runs down from about 90% to 30%, within 5 mins.

when I scrolling through and starting a workout the watch is still very slow.

could it be a problem with the battery itself?
  • I am amazed you got 2 weeks as I never have had more than 5 days even without using bluetooth or GPS. But your current drop and slowness suggests that something is wrong or running in the background (some apps and watch faces use power even when not in use). Cold temps can also have such an effect. I would try a soft/hard/factory reset in that order. While it is not impossible that the batter is at end of life, is should not decrease responsiveness unless it switches to low power mode (and even then...).
  • Hi. Was this ever resolved? I too am experiencing battery draining issues and this happened over night as well. Many thanks. Jacky

• First thing to try is simply rebooting the watch. If this does not help try getting rid of all IQ apps (including watchfaces), if you use any. Then try a hard reset.

• Hi tia. My watch is doing the same. Did you come up with a solution or did you need to send it away??

• Same happened to mine, I think that we need to give it at least 15 minutes more after it reaches 100%. I did that today and it is still showing 100% 6 hours later

• I had the same issue 1 week ago and after reading various forums about it, including this one, i couldn't fix the problem. But then i tried the live chat support on garmin website, and it worked:

atlas-chat.garmin.com/.../chat_sc.html

Basically they told me to plug the watch into the PC using the USB cable, open the windows explorer and delete some folders in the watch: APPS, NEWFILES, ACTIVITY, MONITOR, SETTINGS, REMOTESW and TEXT (if available). And after that, open the Garmin Express software on the PC and sync the watch. After syncing, just unplug the watch and turn off then turn on again. It worked for me! 

• Mine had the same issues. I have taken the above steps and it seems working for me. Thanks!