This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Unable to sync / connect 735xt to Garmin express via USB

Hi
i have seen a previous thread regarding this and wondered if there was any potential resolution available or whetther i should simply make a warranty claim.

symptoms:-
  • PC does not recognise watch as mass storage device or load the USB drivers (when connected via the USB cable).
  • Watch face freezes on the USB connected screen after cable disconnection and takes significant time to return to normal.
  • Garmin express does not find the watch / cannot sync or download updates.
  • Garmin connect on iphone (via bluetooth) works fine.
  • Stand-alone watch function is fine - other than this issue love the watch
Ive tried both the published tactics such as:-
  • Deleting from Garmin Express and trying to re-add
  • Forcing the watch into mass storage mode (PC does then recognise the watch is connected but only partially)
  • Tried on other PC's and same problem.
Interested to know others experience or Garmin Joey's advice.

Thanks

Dom
  • Former Member
    0 Former Member over 6 years ago
    Hi Dom,

If you are not able to force the device into mass storage so that Garmin Express recognizes the Forerunner 735XT, and you are seeing the issue on multiple computers, it is probably best to reach out to Product Support. Could be an issue with the cable or may require looking at an exchange.
  • Same for me but with forerunner 630
  • Thanks Garmin-Joey - I'll progress this through Garmin support channels
  • I contacted Garmin UK support today and it appears that i will have to wait 6 weeks for a repaired watch (not guaranteed). Is this normal / acceptable?

Any similar experiences?
  • Hi Dom, exact same problem just occurred for me today also, except on a MacBook Air - no mass storage device shows up on desktop; watch shows it is charging but locks up on charging window after removing usb cable - 20sec power button reset required; time seems to stop. Watch works fine by itself once reset and time resyncs via GPS. Have tried forcing watch into mass storage mode but nothing happens at all.
  • Hi Redrockstudios, I have just bought a 735XT and I have a MacBook running MacOS Catalina 10.15.2 and the latest version of Garmin Express 6.19.3.0. and I am having exactly the same issue. Sad to think this issue was identified over a year ago, and it still manifests in the same Garmin device model.

Are there any fixes for this?

• I found the solution - not sure embedded n this thread or another but like all of you very annoyed at not being able to connect and screen freezing on battery charge. Seems the solution - which worked for me is as follows:

1) turn off watch by pressing the power on / off button (top left of watch) and holding for 15-20 seconds

2) Connect watch to PC. This causing the watch to turn on and hey presto will then be recognised by the PC. I had to follow the procedure twice before it worked but was delighted to have found a solution.

3) Apparently it also continues to connect as it should the next time round though I haven't tried that.

I was able to update from version 9.2 to 9.4

MInd you they should find a fix for this. Pretty basic bug if you ask me. Hope it works for you.

• Thanks tri226ppm, I had the same issue after an update yesterday.  Tired your suggestion and all is now working okay, plus another update to 9.6, let's hope that's fixed the problem.

• Had the same problem after update to 9.6. Tried above and it seems to have corrected. Very annoying though!

• I had the same issues. Although after 8 attempts (and some frustration) using your method it finally worked as you said.

For anyone else reading and just about to give up after your 5th of 6th attempt keep trying, it will eventually connect.