This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Garmn 735XT - Isn't it supposed to be waterproof!?!

I went swimming with my Garmin 735XT today, and when I got out, it started buzzing continuously.

Then it started cycling through these diagnostic screens at a super-fast rate.

Then it started showing a single orange square pixel.

I tried to power off, and it kept doing it. Did a hard reset (holding power button for 15 seconds), now it just buzzes continuously, cycles between a charging screen and a Garmin logo. Doesn't allow me to do anything, and computer doesn't recognize it.

Really hacked ... have 2 huge races coming up in next 10 days and I'm without my watch.

Chris
  • It's rated at 5ATM, see here https://www.garmin.com/en-GB/legal/waterrating

Assuming you were using it for normal swimming it should have been fine, call Product Support for help.
  • Did you press buttons under water?
  • It's rated at 5ATM, see here https://www.garmin.com/en-GB/legal/waterrating

Assuming you were using it for normal swimming it should have been fine, call Product Support for help.

that table is odd. Rated to 5 ATM, but it's unsuitable for Scuba diving? 5 ATM should be good to 40m? I've taken my 735xt diving to 30m, and it was fine - I thought I had seen a page beforehand that said scuba was OK.
  • The industry-wide standard for water rating might be confusing for someone who never looked into it. Not delving into to much details, 5 ATM is good for surface swimming only. It is not good enough for any kind of diving.

• So what's the point of rating to 5 ATM if you can't go scuba diving? What other activities would you do that would result in 5 ATM of pressure?
  • The point is to indicate in a standardized way that the watch is suitable for surface swimming and not much more. 5 ATM indicates static pressure. When doing some activities like swimming the watch is exposed to higher pressures than would result from the depth itself.

Generally all watches are rated this way. See here:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_Resistant_mark#Water_resistance_classification
  • Former Member
    0 Former Member over 6 years ago
    cattig Sorry to see that you had issues after swimming. As SUSSAMB recommended, I would encourage you to contact Support for direct assistance.
  • Chris,

I too have had issues with my 735xt... Once-last summer while swimming at the pool - I am careful not to hit the buttons while using it- (although I think its a steep request for a watch whose primary use is triathlon training- but go fig)- I had just done a big update- so when the screen turned green- then white, then ultimately black- I thought it may have been due to the update- I live right near Garmin and they were wonderful- I walked into the service center and within 30 minutes I walked out with a new (refurbished) 735xt... which worked perfectly until this afternoon... when I was swimming in the ocean in Puerto Rico... same type of issue- i looked at it and it had turned to a white screen and then black. I had not recently updated (last update was a week ago) ... battery mostly charged.. I am beginning to think this may be an issue with the 735xt... Since I am on a business trip I sent Garmin a message just a little bit ago... hoping they give me the same service- but disappointed that the watch isnt working.
  • not at all.
    I was swimming in the ocean I do not know if that had an issue.

• Based on what you have said should I accept that the watch is finished? 

Even If I send it for repair it will still fail eventually.