This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

New watch faces don't display: revert to digital display

hi there,

been a while since i decided to try out new watch faces on my watch, but in the last few days, i've attempted to load two new faces to my watch, both of which, load properly, but after showing for a short moment, the watch reverts to the built in digital face.

i remember hearing about others having this happen a long time ago, but don't recall the solution to the problem. all of my other watch faces i had previously installed work fine. (including ones i had previously uninstalled and then reinstalled to try to see if my watch was failing to add new faces... these older faces worked fine)

here are the two faces i wanted to try out:
https://apps.garmin.com/en-US/apps/c2c93f16-fd45-4185-82cf-5e078aaea516
https://apps.garmin.com/en-US/apps/f0cae216-6a48-4648-b745-9c6538c8e054

i wrote the developer on the latter, and he had no reports of similar problems, so i'm guessing there is something amiss with my watch...

i'm running 7.10 (99FD1864)

thanks in advance for any help debugging!
  • thanks in advance for any help debugging!
    Forget debugging. As a user, you simply cannot prevent it from happening, with or without understanding of why it happens on occasion.

• Confirm that the watch face selection on your Garmin device remains the particular Connect‑IQ watch face, even though what is actually displayed in the factory-installed Digital. In other words, check that the selection has not somehow been changed with or without your manual intervention.
    • Switch the Garmin device off and back on. Sometimes that resolves the issue. Not being a Connect‑IQ developer myself, my guess is that once a Connect‑IQ watch face (as an app) crashes, the watch still has to display something on the home screen, and so automatically reverts to Digital even though the user selection of watch face has not changed.
    • If that still doesn't work, then try uninstalling and then reinstalling the Connect‑IQ watch face using Garmin Express or a Garmin Connect Mobile app, and then selecting it anew in the Garmin device's settings.
  • Forget debugging. As a user, you simply cannot prevent it from happening, with or without understanding of why it happens on occasion.

• Confirm that the watch face selection on your Garmin device remains the particular Connect‑IQ watch face, even though what is actually displayed in the factory-installed Digital. In other words, check that the selection has not somehow been changed with or without your manual intervention.
    • Switch the Garmin device off and back on. Sometimes that resolves the issue. Not being a Connect‑IQ developer myself, my guess is that once a Connect‑IQ watch face (as an app) crashes, the watch still has to display something on the home screen, and so automatically reverts to Digital even though the user selection of watch face has not changed.
    • If that still doesn't work, then try uninstalling and then reinstalling the Connect‑IQ watch face using Garmin Express or a Garmin Connect Mobile app, and then selecting it anew in the Garmin device's settings.

thanks for the insights. i've tried all of those and they don't work.

however, i did try installing a couple other faces last night (that i haven't previously installed) and they worked! so maybe this was just dumb luck -- the two faces i want to try out are buggy or somehow don't work with the Forerunner watch face shape properly.