This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

735xt Continually Vibrating

Howdy, I've got a 735xt that started vibrating continually last night when I was asleep.

Specs and facts.
I installed 7.10 sometime last week.
No input occurred before the watch started vibrating.
Battery was at roughly 60%.

In a middle-of-the-night rush, here's roughly what I did.
0. Watch starts vibrating continuously. Just buzzing away. Nothing strange on the display. Was actively paired with my phone.
1. Hit some buttons. Display changes accordingly, vibrating continued.
2. Do a "soft" turn off by holding the power button and selecting yes for "Turn Power Off". The watch turned off, the vibrating continued.
3. Fine, turn it back on. Watch turned back on, vibrating continued.
4. Do a "hard" turn off by holding the power button for ~15 seconds. Finally! Vibrating stops! Also watch turns off.
5. Now I'm slightly more awake and curious to troubleshoot, turn the watch back on. Vibrating starts up again.
6. Repeat steps 1 - 4 to same effect as before.
7. Now that it's off and the vibrating has stopped, I give up for the night, take it off and put it aside, back to bed.

After ~6 hours turned off, I pick it back up.
8. Turn it on. It works, kind of. It's not vibrating, but the display isn't behaving correctly when I hit different buttons. Semi-unresponsive. I hit the up arrow and it goes to the first widget and then kind of freezes for a second, will not advance upward or downward, then will advance downward back to main screen. Also is displaying the time from when I turned it off.
9. Do a "hard" turn off. Guess it worked last night, let's try it again.
10. Turn it back on, same behavior as 8.
11. With no additional input, watch starts vibrating again.
12. Pull out the manual, flip through the troubleshooting pages, take a stab in the dark and do a reset of user data.
13. Re-enter all my info, display is responsive, things working as expected, time is now correct.
14. Turn on Bluetooth, re-pair with my phone. Start syncing with Garmin Connect (Android)
15. After a long sync process, watch starts to vibrate again. Yep, knew it, that would've been too easy.
16. Do a "hard" turn off. Vibrating stops. While the watch is off, turn off Bluetooth on my phone.
17. Turn the watch back on. No vibrating. Turn off Bluetooth on the watch as well.

It's been several hours since and the watch hasn't started vibrating outside of normal behavior. I haven't attempted to turn Bluetooth back on yet.
I've got it charging from a laptop and made sure it was up to date through Garmin Express, which it was. Maybe there was some little Strava update, but the main software was up to date.

Some other behavior I've been noticing lately that may or may not be related and that I haven't kept good tabs on.

- Music Control hasn't worked in awhile, haven't dug too deeply into debugging. Not sure when that started but it was awhile ago, and at first I thought it was user error, but I've tried toggling some controls and ensuring connectivity and it still doesn't work.
- Notifications have become less consistent lately. I get a text and I may or may not get a notification on the watch. Again, something I haven't dug into a whole lot.
  • Doesn't sound good. If it keeps vibrating despite all these resets, I would seek a replacement device.
  • Just an update (and keeping notes for myself)

Yesterday my post concluded with the watch behaving well and bluetooth disabled both on the watch and the phone. I also connected to Garmin Express, did the little Strava update, and charged to 100%.

The not terribly interesting update is that I went a day and a half with the watch behaving fine, although I kept Bluetooth off the entire time.

I just turned Bluetooth back on, we'll see what happens in the next few days.
  • Do you swim/shower with it? It might be water ingress causing issues. If it plays up again I would definitely get it swapped out

CW
  • Same problem

Howdy, I've got a 735xt that started vibrating continually last night when I was asleep.

Specs and facts.

In a middle-of-the-night rush, here's roughly what I did.
    0. Watch starts vibrating continuously. Just buzzing away. Nothing strange on the display. Was actively paired with my phone.
    2. Do a "soft" turn off by holding the power button and selecting yes for "Turn Power Off". The watch turned off, the vibrating continued.
    4. Do a "hard" turn off by holding the power button for ~15 seconds. Finally! Vibrating stops! Also watch turns off.
    5. Now I'm slightly more awake and curious to troubleshoot, turn the watch back on. Vibrating starts up again.
    7. Now that it's off and the vibrating has stopped, I give up for the night, take it off and put it aside, back to bed.

After ~6 hours turned off, I pick it back up.
    8. Turn it on. It works, kind of. It's not vibrating, but the display isn't behaving correctly when I hit different buttons. Semi-unresponsive. I hit the up arrow and it goes to the first widget and then kind of freezes for a second, will not advance upward or downward, then will advance downward back to main screen. Also is displaying the time from when I turned it off.
    12. Pull out the manual, flip through the troubleshooting pages, take a stab in the dark and do a reset of user data.
    13. Re-enter all my info, display is responsive, things working as expected, time is now correct.
    14. Turn on Bluetooth, re-pair with my phone. Start syncing with Garmin Connect (Android)
    15. After a long sync process, watch starts to vibrate again. Yep, knew it, that would've been too easy.
    16. Do a "hard" turn off. Vibrating stops. While the watch is off, turn off Bluetooth on my phone.
    17. Turn the watch back on. No vibrating. Turn off Bluetooth on the watch as well.

It's been several hours since and the watch hasn't started vibrating outside of normal behavior. I haven't attempted to turn Bluetooth back on yet.
    I've got it charging from a laptop and made sure it was up to date through Garmin Express, which it was. Maybe there was some little Strava update, but the main software was up to date.

Some other behavior I've been noticing lately that may or may not be related and that I haven't kept good tabs on.

- Music Control hasn't worked in awhile, haven't dug too deeply into debugging. Not sure when that started but it was awhile ago, and at first I thought it was user error, but I've tried toggling some controls and ensuring connectivity and it still doesn't work.
    - Notifications have become less consistent lately. I get a text and I may or may not get a notification on the watch. Again, something I haven't dug into a whole lot.

I am having the exact problem and it's very distracting at work. I've done everything I can (updates, full charge, etc) and nothing's changed. Is there a Garmin 800 customer service number I can call?
  • I am having the exact problem and it's very distracting at work. I've done everything I can (updates, full charge, etc) and nothing's changed. Is there a Garmin 800 customer service number I can call?

start from support.garmin.com
  • Started with the same problem and now...

I had the same behaviour on a month old Garmin 735XT, some day a week ago, after a full charge, the screen faded away, I made contact with Garmin Support and they send a troubleshooting that directed to erase some folders because of corrupted data. NO LUCK. Sent pics to support of the state of screen yesterday and still waiting for answer.
    What I found on the data deletion es that any time I connect the watch again, the same folders appears with the same creation date, which sounds strange to me since the are deleted from the watch. Repeated the steps several times with no luck.

I told support to issue a RMA but still waiting response.

Any ideas in dealing with this terrible error??

Thanks in advance,

Ariel Perez
  • howdy, i've got a 735xt that started vibrating continually last night when i was asleep.

Specs and facts.

In a middle-of-the-night rush, here's roughly what i did.
    2. Do a "soft" turn off by holding the power button and selecting yes for "turn power off". The watch turned off, the vibrating continued.
    5. Now i'm slightly more awake and curious to troubleshoot, turn the watch back on. Vibrating starts up again.
    7. Now that it's off and the vibrating has stopped, i give up for the night, take it off and put it aside, back to bed.

After ~6 hours turned off, i pick it back up.
    8. Turn it on. It works, kind of. It's not vibrating, but the display isn't behaving correctly when i hit different buttons. Semi-unresponsive. I hit the up arrow and it goes to the first widget and then kind of freezes for a second, will not advance upward or downward, then will advance downward back to main screen. Also is displaying the time from when i turned it off.
    14. Turn on bluetooth, re-pair with my phone. Start syncing with garmin connect (android)
    16. Do a "hard" turn off. Vibrating stops. While the watch is off, turn off bluetooth on my phone.
    17. Turn the watch back on. No vibrating. Turn off bluetooth on the watch as well.

It's been several hours since and the watch hasn't started vibrating outside of normal behavior. I haven't attempted to turn bluetooth back on yet.
    I've got it charging from a laptop and made sure it was up to date through garmin express, which it was. Maybe there was some little strava update, but the main software was up to date.

Some other behavior i've been noticing lately that may or may not be related and that i haven't kept good tabs on.

- music control hasn't worked in awhile, haven't dug too deeply into debugging. Not sure when that started but it was awhile ago, and at first i thought it was user error, but i've tried toggling some controls and ensuring connectivity and it still doesn't work.
    - notifications have become less consistent lately. I get a text and i may or may not get a notification on the watch. Again, something i haven't dug into a whole lot.

i'm having exactly the same problem. For me it started after being in the water shortly before. Tried every thing as mentioned in the previous post.
    Thanks for any suggestions, mic
  • It could be a sign of water ingress :-S dry it out (in the airing cupboard if you have one) and see if that fixes it. If you are brave go for a swim with it again and see if it starts again. If so then phone Garmin and try and get a replacement. By the way, have you ever pressed the buttons under the water? You’re not meant to!
  • I had exactly the same problem. What I did to fix it was hard power off the unit for 30 minutes after doing a full reset. When it powered up it stopped vibrating but did appear to act strange .. as another user reported the buttons didn’t seem to scroll through the menus correctly .. like a lag on a slow computer. I manually downloaded a stable version of the software ( found it on the garmin site ) and loaded that in .. rebooted and all is good now 3 weeks after the incident. What caused it ? Well I don’t think it was hardware I think it was a software issue and like other have reported in other threads I now have the “looses connection with Garmin app” problem (iOS 11). I was onto Garmin about that one and they said the are working with Apple to fix that. Always issues with Garmin software and their help is not good. They don’t like admitting problems and are very quick to tell you to send the watch back if it’s out of Warrenty so they can squeeze a few more $$$
  • I know this is old, but do you know where you got that stable version of the software (where on their site)?