This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

No pace or distance showing on Indoor Run activity - watch broken?

Hi,
I've had my 735Xt for a few weeks now and have only recently got round to using it indoors. With the watch on the Indoor Run activity I'm not seeing any cadence, distance or pace showing. If I have the HRM-Run/Tri on I see Cadence but not with the watch on its own. I've still got my old 920XT and it's behaving as I expect - if I do a march on the spot with proper arm swings it sees pace and cadence (without the HRM). What really did it for me was that I went for a run on the treadmill (had the HRM Run on) and the watch didn't record anything other than HR, time and the running dynamics - no pace or distance. Activity is here: https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1296252501

If I wear both watches at the same time the 920 is recording the metrics but the 735 is showing nothing.

Is the internal accelerometer broken? I've not been getting any distance/ pace on the Strength activity either but I put that down to the watch being different compared to the 920 and it was expected behaviour. Just want to check before I raise a ticket,

Thanks,
Simon
  • That activity says "Strength Training" so no pace or distance makes sense.

Have you actually recorded an indoor one that GC says is a run?
  • > Have you actually recorded an indoor one that GC says is a run?

That activity was done as an Indoor Run - I changed it in GC afterwards (as it was actually a gym weights and conditioning session with some treadmill work at the end.) Here's a similar gym session done using the 920 - again it was done as an Indoor Run and then switched to Strength Training in GC.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1265072366

I'm going to go for a swim at lunchtime (and take both watches).
  • So if you leave off your HRM-Run then you don't get cadence indoors or outdoors? If so then there must be something wrong with the device.

Probably worth just powering off and on again to see that it makes any difference. Would be easy to tell with the cadence if that is any better with just a test very short activity.

If the watch cannot itself detect cadence then it can't tell your arm swing rate and hence no speed/distance indoors.
  • > So if you leave off your HRM-Run then you don't get cadence indoors or outdoors? If so then there must be something wrong with the device.

Correct - if I'm not wearing a HRM-Run/Tri then running, marching on the spot with exaggerated arms all shows cadence on the 920 but the 735 is stuck at 0. Sounds like it's faulty then (I've not been for a swim yet but that would definitely confirm it.) Have power cycled it several times and done a test with both watches worn at the same time (set to the indoor run activity). 735 shows no cadence or pace.

Looks like the accelerometer is dead :(

Thanks for confirming my thoughts though.

Simon
  • > So if you leave off your HRM-Run then you don't get cadence indoors or outdoors? If so then there must be something wrong with the device.

Correct - if I'm not wearing a HRM-Run/Tri then running, marching on the spot with exaggerated arms all shows cadence on the 920 but the 735 is stuck at 0. Sounds like it's faulty then (I've not been for a swim yet but that would definitely confirm it.) Have power cycled it several times and done a test with both watches worn at the same time (set to the indoor run activity). 735 shows no cadence or pace.

Looks like the accelerometer is dead :(

Thanks for confirming my thoughts though.

Simon

does it track steps when you aren't in activity mode? presumably that is using the accelerometer too.
  • It does track steps. Curiouser and curiouser. I've raised a ticket with Garmin so I'll see what they come back with.
  • I just tried with an Indoor Run I recorded with my 230 (it was actually on an elliptical trainer). When I changed the activity type from Treadmill Running to Strength Training, the Run Cadence graph went away. When I changed it back to Treadmill Running it reappeared.

There could be a setting where the cadence from the HRM-Run is overriding the cadence from the 735. Try disabling the HRM-Run in the sensors menu and see if that makes a difference.
  • Resolved!

Hi,
    Spoke to Garmin and we tried various things including a full reset of the device, which fixed it. Now get cadence, distance and pace when indoors/ not on GPS as I would expect.

Lesson learned there - if in doubt do a Reset Settings first.

Thanks for all your replies and suggestions :)

Simon
  • Oh that’s great!!! Thanks