This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

RHR calculation

How does the 735xt 'calculate' this? I thought it was simply the lowest HR reading of the day, during 'waking hours'? But I've gone a lot lower (c. 6bpm) intraday than a 'typical' RHR reading..does it have to stay there for a certain time before it 'registers' as a RHR, to avoid erroneous readings/dropouts registering as a daily RHR? What's it really doing under the bonnet?
  • My understanding is that it does "have to stay there for a certain time before it 'registers' as a RHR" - at least on the 735 itself.

However there seems to be a current disparity with what GC shows which does seem more of a low value.
  • thanks Tim. it would be nice to know exactly what it's doing... i see my 'live' HR well below the 'publicized' RHR for quite some time, but still no update to the RHR figure. Quite confusing given the additional inconsistency with GC.

And while we're on the topic of GC & HR data, how do you get the 735 to sync the daily HR data with GC? I thought just the act of 'being on GC' while having Bluetooth on would cause it to seamlessly sync, but it seems hours out of date. Even a manual 'sync now' via Garmin Express doesn't seem to update the daily HR screen... it often seems hours old, despite a manual sync.
    Any ideas how to get it up to date?
  • thanks Tim. it would be nice to know exactly what it's doing... i see my 'live' HR well below the 'publicized' RHR for quite some time, but still no update to the RHR figure. Quite confusing given the additional inconsistency with GC.

And while we're on the topic of GC & HR data, how do you get the 735 to sync the daily HR data with GC? I thought just the act of 'being on GC' while having Bluetooth on would cause it to seamlessly sync, but it seems hours out of date. Even a manual 'sync now' via Garmin Express doesn't seem to update the daily HR screen... it often seems hours old, despite a manual sync.
    Any ideas how to get it up to date?
    The daily number does not update, at least not if you're wearing your watch at night, in which case it seems that it is considering something like your average sleeping heart rate to be your RHR. If you don't wear it at night, it supposedly considers your RHR to be the lowest average over 1 minute. That's the best understanding we've been given so far. It is becoming more consistent, even if it is not a very good definition of RHR. Take a look at this discussion in which a Garmin moderator was responding to some of these questions:

https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?353104-Garmin-s-various-ways-of-measuring-calculating-amp-tracking-resting-heart-rate-(RHR)
  • How does the 735xt 'calculate' this? I thought it was simply the lowest HR reading of the day, during 'waking hours'? But I've gone a lot lower (c. 6bpm) intraday than a 'typical' RHR reading..does it have to stay there for a certain time before it 'registers' as a RHR, to avoid erroneous readings/dropouts registering as a daily RHR? What's it really doing under the bonnet?

RHR and continuous HR measurement is such a mega fiasco if you ask me. The way the data are calculated and displayed leaves me with absolutely zero confidence. I can't believe that they are still trying to reconcile the RHR values across the three platforms (Watch, Mobile, Web).

I understand that bugs are a fact of life but Garmin is often so far behind promised features that at this point it's just dishonest on their part.
  • I can't believe that they are still trying to reconcile the RHR values across the three platforms (Watch, Mobile, Web).

Looking back across the past 7 days my RHR on all three platforms is always different. Very hard to make use of these numbers.

Currently it seems that the daily HRM mostly serves to drain the battery faster. The two actionable things you'd use it for (other than curiosity) are not very meaningful or actionable - i.e. RHR and daily calories.
  • This is likely the result of one team working on the watch, another team working on the app and a third team working on the web. Each of them think they are doing it "right", but in the end it is clearly obvious to Garmin's customers that they have no interaction between these teams showing that overall management is lacking. Been there, seen that. Customers (like us) suffer.
  • My understanding of this is that the problem is with Garmin Connect rather than the watches. There are similar comments on all the other device forums at the moment. That said not sure any of the RHR values are that useful to me. My "manual" method of seeing what my HR drops to as I get out of bed is generally good enough for me.
  • That said not sure any of the RHR values are that useful to me. My "manual" method of seeing what my HR drops to as I get out of bed is generally good enough for me.

Wouldn't it be awesome though if someone invented a device that automated this process, so it "just happened" automagically when you were wearing said device. And did it with a reasonable level of consistency and accuracy (and transparency).

I'd pay a lot of money for a device that had such a feature (amongst others) ... just a thought.
  • Wouldn't it be awesome though if someone invented a device that automated this process, so it "just happened" automagically when you were wearing said device. And did it with a reasonable level of consistency and accuracy (and transparency).

I'd pay a lot of money for a device that had such a feature (amongst others) ... just a thought.

Well that's exactly what the 735xt promised to do, offer continuous HR measurement and estimation of RHR ... automagically! It did succeed in getting $450 out of our pockets but it sadly didn't deliver.
  • Well to be fair that is not of course the only thing you get (or don't) for your money.