This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Various problems with my Garmin 645M watch

I bought a Garmin 645 Music Watch a few months ago and I have several problems with it:

1.After I push the start button for a run, it immediately stops again ( the next second) by itself and I'll need to push the start button again to make it work!

2.When walking and or hiking it gives me the wrong kms. I noticed that when I go for a hike and take a lunch break, the kms and time continue to add up. Very weird, when you're sitting still and you see kms being added. Even when I have pushed the stop button, the kms continue to add up. Yesterday, when hiking 15K in the mountains, the watch switched itself off, during a lunch break and I had to start all over again.

3.I have been wearing my watch 24h a days 7/7 since I bought it a few months ago. However for the last few nights I had to take my watch off at night, as I'm wearing a splint.  I noticed in the mornings that the watch shows 450 calories used, while it has been laying idle on my bedside table all night. I doubled checked at midnight and it went to 0.

Needless to say that I'm not impressed with Garmin at all. I was persuaded to buy a Garmin watch after many problem free years with TomTom.

I did my homework before I bought the watch and the 645M sounded great. I now did a bit more research and there seem to be quite a lot of problems with it.

I have not done a factory reset yet, as I'm afraid that I will loose all me info in the Garmin Connect on my computer. Someone suggested to delete all the info from my phone at the end of every month. This seems to help for some people, but hope that for a watch, which costs quite a lot, an easier solution can be found.

TIA for your help from a very disappointed and unhappy Garmin user.

• Yes, that's exactly what I'm thinking. This watch is totally useless for anything else but running!

• Yes, I'm using the auto pause function on the watch, but it adds kms when I hike, walk or swim. It's ok for running, but will indeed give it a test as well.

• From what I understand now, lots of people have the same problems. This watch is good for running, as it does not involve a stop, but is useless for hiking, walking and swimming, unfortunately.

• Yes the watch is only usable for running. Kinda sad for a watch this expensive. I have one more month of warranty and I am considering asking Garmin for a replacement watch but I wonder will the new watch be just as *** or even more? Lol. 

• How many months of warranty do you have? The shop I bought it from only gave me 30days

• I got one year. Bought online. 30 days seems very low. 

• OK, I gave it a test. And indeed it ads distance while I am not moving. It surely counts the GPS inaccuracy as walking distance. I am sorry for TS. I personally do not mind, because I bought a watch for running, and for that purpose it is great

• Garmin itself gives 1 year in most countries, regardless of merchant. Check with Garmin Support.

• Even under ideal conditions, consumer GPS accuracy has a large error: +/- 5m is commonly quoted. So, the watch is seeing small movements even when there are none, and relying on the accelerometer too much could result in missing distance even when you are moving. I never use auto-pause. If I'm going to be stopped for a while, I press Stop. Contact support so that they can give you a proper watch with a functioning button.

• Hi. yes, I am aware of the error, but I think that 3k added to a 15k hike is too much. For years, I used a TomTom watch and I never had this problem. Friends of mine use other brands and also don't experience such a large difference.

I have been in touch with Garmin and the said it was due to being under trees and in between buildings. This is nonsense, as I tested it several times in open spaces. 

I think it should be clearly stated in reviews and manuals that the watch is only good with a continuous movement, i.e. running.