This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

5k Personal Records being recorded incorreclty

Hi All.

Help required!

I bought the Gamrin Forerunner 645 Music in August.

I usually run 3 times a week and only do 5k's.

My times are improving but the issue I have is my personal records are not being recorded properly on the watch and Gamrin Connect.

Basically I will run 5.02k and in Gamrin Connect I can see the 5k split time is 26:12 for example and the total time is 26:20.

Everytime it makes my 5k personal record the Total Time NOT the actual 5k split time.

I contacted product support and I have tried a few different things including hard resetting the watch to default settings.  In the end they told me to exchange the watch.

I exchanged the watch on Thursday, went for as run on Friday and the exact same issue has occured!

Interestingly when the data is passed to Strava it recognises my 5k times accurately.  So I belive the data on the watch is correct as I can see the split times on there and on Gamrin Connect but it just won't allocate the 5k split time as my record only the total time!

Can anyone please help???

Cheers

From Garmin Connect:

Personal Record:

Top Replies

• over 3 years ago in reply to CTalman +3 verified
    Do you know what the reasoning behind this is?

I can only guess. I think the way of thinking is as follows:

Imagine you run a 5k race on an IAAF certified route which is exactly 5 km. However…

All Replies

• This is how it works. If the distance completed is close to PR distance, then the total time is taken as PR.

• Hi ,  Thanks for replying.  Do you know what the reasoning behind this is?

It's interesting that the product support guys didn't know this!  They were trying to fix it to the point of getting me to exchange the watch!

Just seems mad that for your 5k PR it won't use the 5k split time.

So, do you know if I ran 5.5k would my PR then be picked up as 26:12?

Thanks

• Do you know what the reasoning behind this is?

I can only guess. I think the way of thinking is as follows:

Imagine you run a 5k race on an IAAF certified route which is exactly 5 km. However due to limited GPS accuracy and an imperfect race line, your distance indicated on your watch at the finish line would be slightly longer than 5 km. And yet it is reasonable in that case to set the PR at the finish line, and not at 5 km indicated by your watch, as it would fall slightly before the race finish.

It's interesting that the product support guys didn't know this!

Support guys usually go through a simple troubleshooting checklist, and if it doesn't help they resort to replacing the device without making any additional effort into understanding the underlying issue.

So, do you know if I ran 5.5k would my PR then be picked up as 26:12?

I don't know. 5.5 km seems a bit too far. I'd assume that the margin would be shorter.

• Thanks.  That does makes sense.

Next time out I'll try and bit further than 5.02 and see if it uodayes correctly (although I won't know until I break my PR again!  No pressure).

Thanks for your answer.

• Did you ever find the cut off for how many meters after 5km that still contribute to the 5km for Personal Records?

I have a similar situation, I am doing 10km recreational runs, and would like to compare my 10km times. Garmin watches do not have the functionality to end an ectivty after a set distance so I end manually, then use the trim feature.

Unfortunately Garmin Personal Records are calculated on the total time of the activity. So today I did 10.04km in 54:27 and Garmin set this as my new 10km record. I went into Garmin web and trimmed the activity to 10km which gave me 54:05. But my 10km record stays fixed as 54:27.

I understand GPS inaccuracies and all. But if I ran 10.5km where would Garmin calculate the 10km record to? If I ran 10.7km?

• Found out you can edit the Garmin Personal Reords via Garmin Connect Web (not the mobile app).

Trim the acivity to 10km or whatever then from Garmin Connect Web:

Manually Assign a PR from a Recorded Activity

See:

https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?faq=unLSr8lk0z5EUCi0k8Yys8

• I haven't been using my Garmin watch for a long time now but from memory I would always run at least another 0.1km maybe 0.2km just to be sure and that used to work at accurately capturing the 5k as 5k.

Although it seems like you've already found another way to adjust your PR.