This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

645 first impressions: not good

I went for my first run with my new 645 (non-music version) last night.  I switched to Garmin because of terrible compatibility between the Map My Run app and my Apple Watch, which Under Armor knows about, but apparently has no interest in fixing.  Last night I ran a very well-defined route that I have run countless times before.  The total mileage for the route is just over six miles.  Imagine the sinking feeling in my gut when I looked at my watch after finishing my run, only to find that the 645 indicated that I only ran 1.84 miles!  I looked at the map that was generated, and there it is...I started on my street (although apparently the watch didn't wake up and start recording anything until I was almost to the end of my block), and then the run terminates 13 minutes later, 1.84 miles away.  According to the watch, I never even made it home!

So what gives?  Did I buy a lemon?  Should I return the 645 now and look at other brands?  Very disappointing to not even get one single run in before the watch malfunctions. 

• seilogramp, 

Oops.  I'm brand new to this platform.  Please take a look now, as I've just made it visible to everyone.  Thank you for all your input!

• P.S.  If you look at the record of my run, the 30-second gap where my pace plummets is accurate.  I tried to experiment with the "run-walk-run" method yesterday and took a break of approximately 30 seconds after the first mile.  I didn't touch the watch during that time--I timed that gap with a stopwatch, and the Garmin record was apparently shut down a little under a mile later.

• Just to be safe, go into your mobile app and disable the Move IQ function. In the app, go to the 'more' function - then 'Garmin Devices', select yours, then go to 'Activity Tracking', and disable the Move IQ item. It's possible the Move IQ stuff is gunking up your regular activity and accuracy....maybe. Let's see if that makes any difference...

• You're also on an older version of software - I'd suggest updating to the latest firmware as your first task, if you haven't already.

• Neil,

Everything I've read through Garmin's documentation and online indicates that software will be updated automatically.  I just synced the watch for good measure, but it's unclear to me whether any software was updated as a result.

This is a new watch that I took out of the watch, activated, and registered yesterday.  It's kind of stunning that its software is already outdated.  Do you have any tips as to how I might be able to manually make it current?  To be clear, automatic updates don't happen automatically?

• My wife while running with 645, somehow manages to generate key press combination with wrist movements, which will end the training. So she must always lock the keys during exercise. You could try the same, or try adjusting the position of the watch on wrist.

• Thank you all for your responses.  It has been another week now, I've had 4 or 5 runs successfully logged, and I love this watch.  It seems that my first (aborted) run was an outlier, and everything has worked well since then.  Let's hope it was only a one-time thing!