This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

645 vs Fenix 6 comparison

Received my Fenix 6 Sapphire Titanium yesterday, unfortunately I'll be sending it back due to a couple of issues (defective screen and OHR sensor), however thought I would post some comparison photos.

Background: 46 yr old male, 155 lbs/70kg. I bought my first Garmin watch (Vivoactive HR) in July 2016 to support my get-fit focus which was primarily elliptical and some weights in the gym. Overall good experience with the VAHR although I found the styling very dated. In March 2018 I decided to replace it and chose the Forerunner 645 over the VivoActive 3 as I wanted to have more than 1 button and there were some features of the F645 I preferred. The 645M also encouraged me to start jogging so I went from never having jogged to now running 6-7km every day and last weekend completed my first formally timed 5k run (Park Run) in 20:35. My 645M experience has overall been positive, yes I had a few resets/blue triangle of death in the early days with audio alerts but the 645M has been 95%+ a positive experience. I originally used Beats PowerX headphones and have just switched to Powerbeats Pro. 

Initial thoughts:

• F6 is significantly larger/heavier than the 645M. It is something that shouldn't be too difficult to get used to but it is worth being aware of. I went for the 6 rather than the 6S as I wanted the bigger screen and better battery life
  • The new widget view is good
  • The default watch faces on the F6 don't particularly appeal to me and I wish they would allow Active Calories as a data point on the main watch face as that is my daily goal rather than steps etc
  • F6 OHR issues where it decides to stop working - quite a few other people have the same issue if you look on the F6 forum
  • Defective screen - when screen has white background it has a very noticeable black smear beneath the glass
  • Sapphire screen much duller than non-graphite so may be worth going for non-sapphire and getting a screen protector
  • F6 bluetooth connectivity to Powerbeats Pro headphones is better/stronger than the 645M
  • No issues with connecting to Wahoo Tickr X HRM
  • Can't test much from the Connect IQ store, e.g. running power with RD Pod as they have not been made compatible for the F6 yet.
  • Repsiratory rate shows in Garmin Connect for the first activity I did
  • GPS seemed ok from a quick walk, but have not extensively tested it yet.

This actual F6 will be being returned due to the defects, I will decide over weekend whether to get a replacement or wait for the 655 which will likely have the extra data metrics etc which is why I bought the F6, but for half the price. I was initially very excited with the F6, but the two issues experienced in first 24 hours have put a dampener on it - appreciate that is just bad luck.

Weight of 645M

Weight of Fenix 6 Titanium

Comparison side by side

with backlight on

regards

TheSalamander

• I don't think it's a fair comparison. I am also a former 645 owner and just got a Fenix 6S Pro. The Fenix 6 series is better in just about every respect, as you would expect for a watch costing twice the price and 2 years newer.

I won't go into detail, but the main advantages over 645 that stand out for me after just a day of owning the Fenix 6S Pro are:

- Better build quality - Fenix is a solid watch. The plastic case on the 645 is starting to feel quite smooth to the touch from general wear and tear, whereas the case of the Fenix 6 has a kind of textured feel to it, which I think will stay looking new for longer. Buttons have a reassuring click and good tactile feel, whereas buttons on my 645 have gone soft;

- Looks - I went for the all black edition, the Fenix 6S Pro is a smart looking timepiece, and the stainless steel back gives it a quality feel which you don't get with the Forerunners;

- GPS performance is significantly better - tracks have so far been very good, and superior to the 645 and 935;

- Altimeter - the 645 altimeter was very unreliable, whereas the one in the Fenix 6 is very accurate and will auto-calibrate from built-in topo maps;

One point that is quite important on a daily basis and often overlooked: the overall reactivity of the watch in the menu and the improvement of the processor;

- Native navigation app (you can navigate without having to start an activity);

- Native altimeter and barometer apps;

- Pre-loaded maps! They are better than I thought they would be (in the UK);

- Ability to see heart rate and altitude on the watch face without needing to use third party Connect IQ watch faces;

- The way the widgets are displayed is way better.

Things I don't like:

- Comfort - I'd be lying if I said the Fenix 6S Pro was as comfortable as the 645, as it's taller (lug-to-lug) and 20 grams heavier (although the lugs have reduced in length since the Fenix 5S);

- Fit - the Fenix 6 won't stay flat on my wrist when I am running and covered in sweat, probably due to increased weight and taller lug-to-lug design, and this makes it harder to read the data fields during a run as the watch is always at an angle.

- Strap - I don't know why Garmin made the strap so short on the Fenix 6S. It should be the same length as the one on the 645. It fits me but it's on the short side so it makes it more cumbersome to put it on. 

Hope that helps.

• Agree with your points and it is not a fair comparison, the F6 is definitely a higher quality device which you would expect at the different price points. I posted as I know a number of 645 owners are considering upgrading and it helps to show the difference in size/looks. 

• Thank you for that. Could you post a couple of photos of the 645 and 6s side-by-side (here or in a new post)?

• It is sooo frustrating that they make the bands on these watches so freaking small Confounded

I lift and my wrists are quite large. I've had to purchase aftermarket straps, which is ridiculous after you've already paid $300+

• I will also add that having tried a 5k run this morning with the Fenix 6, taking the same route as I did last week using the 645M, the GPS tracking of the Fenix 6 is clearly not as accurate as the 645.

This was a timed 5k Park Run on both occasions and taking the same course. It is possible there is some user error on the start point, I'll be able to validate this when I get the official time back. Other than the start/finish section the remainder of the route is a single path about 10 foot wide, which goes under the highway. You can see that the Fenix 6 struggles to keep the track as tight.

645M

Fenix 6

Unfortunately I am returning the Fenix 6 due to a screen defect, however I've also encountered an intermittent wrist OHR (as have a fair few others), plus the lack of SDK and apps (even Garmin ones such as Running Power) is disappointing. I expect the firmware will improve in the next couple of months and the apps will become available, but I depend on my watch on a daily basis to be able to wait, so I'll be getting a refund.

TheSalamander

• Funny, I was just looking at that course map yesterday while trying to find a local 5K. :) Assuming everything worked as it should, do you like the Fenix 6 better than the 645M?

• The Fenix 6 has a lot of potential, but for me it is not ready to use as a replacement for the 645M, mostly due to firmware issues and lack of apps that I use.

Assuming you don't mind the larger size/weight (and I think most people would get used to it) then it is a definite step up from the 645M, in part due to the updated software which would presumably come to the 655 next year.

At present I am going to wait a couple of months and then decide if I go back to a Fenix 6, or wait for the 655M. Assuming that PacePro, Body Battery etc come to the 655 then the only real benefit that I would get from the Fenix 6 would be the extra battery life since I don't do triathlons and don't really need the inbuilt maps. Other than that it comes to aesthetics, and without trying to stereo type I could see a lot of guys preferring the style of the Fenix 6 over the Forerunner 645/655.

TheSalamander

• It's funny that because I have been testing the 645 and Fenix 6S together on the same run both using GPS + Galileo and the Fenix 6S comes out as the winner with better tracks. The 645 also suffers from really inaccurate lap pace at the start of a run and sometimes for the first 20 seconds of each lap. Often it is about 45 seconds per mile out, whereas the Fenix 6S is much more stable. But at the end of each lap, the two watches are almost identical on pace. I have found the Fenix 6S reads a slightly shorter distance on the same route, by around 0.05 miles over 4 miles.

I think I need to do a certified race course to know which one is true but the tracks do seem tidier on the Fenix 6S.

See for yourself:

645: https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/4032688175

Fenix 6S: https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/4032687151

645: https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/4037808666

Fenix 6S: https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/4037814846

• One thing that is definitely better on the Fenix 6 is the altimeter. The altimeter on the 645 sucks. Altitude compared to ordinance datum was always incorrect. It required constant calibration for the data to be meaningful. On the Fenix 6 it just works all of the time and it self-calibrates with the built in topo maps. You can also use it without being in an activity, and it even has a live data field on watch face, which is cool.

• Hi guys, I thought that rd pod only doesn’t turn on for me on f6. Does anyone know a solution? or have to wait for new updates.