This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Music stops playing during runs

I have the Garmin Forerunner 645 Music, and love everything about it except the altimeter (which I'll save for another topic) and the unreliability of the music. I've copied over unprotected mp3's to the watch, and when I start my run I'll set it to play all songs in either a playlist or all songs overall. Randomly (but very frequently) after it ends one song, it'll just stop playing altogether. When I look at the music screen, it'll show the last song that was played, 0:00, and paused. If I click play, nothing happens. If I try to switch to a new song in the Now Playing list, switch to another playlist, or switch to play all songs, nothing happens. It doesn't matter if it's in Shuffle mode or not, it doesn't matter if it's in Repeat All mode or not. It's not an issue with connectivity to the headphones, because I still get notifications on splits, e.g. "Mile 7, 8:34". If it's having issues playing a certain song, then it should be able to recover from that and skip to the next song, not fall into a broken state where it can't play ANY songs.

Most of my runs are 1 to 1.5 hours, and I rarely am able to get through an entire run without the music stopping at some point. The only fix is to stop my run, reboot the watch, start the music again, and then resume my run. I have the latest FW update. This is unacceptable for a $450 watch. Have others run into this issue? Garmin, any FW update on the way that will resolve this?
  • How do you copy the songs to the watch?
  • robm I copy the songs over from iTunes using Garmin Express and usb.

orangeblood Thanks, for sure that thread is related to the same issue, nice find. It sounds like it hasn't been fixed yet, but glad to see that others are experiencing the same issue so hopefully Garmin will pay attention...
  • Has this been fixed? I am still having this issue

• This has only started on mine with the new 6.4 update

• I just checked and I have 6.4 :( 

how can we have this fixed? That is kind of useless to have 654M whne it stop in a middle of a run and it also stop my activity timing!

Thanks 

diane

• Had the same issue twice on my long run today with Spotify stopping on my Forerunning 645 Music. Had to stop my run and stop and start the music once and then just gave up on the music after it happened the 2nd time. Haven't had this issue before and currently using version 6.50 (b23b9d3). Didn't appear to be anything wrong with my headphones. was very annoying. Hopefully it will be fix next patch.

• I have a 645/M, I use spotify. I was listening to one of the playlists, during my workout this morning.  Music stopped 5-10 mins into the work out. 

This hasn't been happening, probably as a result of the new firmware.

• Every time I run this happens. It is very annoying and it´s definetly something wrong with the watch. I´ve got version 6.50 on my forerunner 645/M. 

• How are you measuring your heart rate?  I use a Garmin chest strap HR monitor (older "RUN" version).

When I went running, I noticed that my 645M would just stop playing music too - 15-20 minutes into a run over a period of 2-3 weeks.  I looked at my run data and noticed that my chest rate monitor, after pairing with the watch at the beginning of the run would stop transmitting sometimes AND it forced the 645M to get heart rate data from the built-in optical HR reader (I can tell because the optical heart rate reader tends to read 15-20 bpm lower than my chest strap at the same moment during the run) - this happened again during a run and I noted that my heart rate data was zero bpm as it lost connection to my chest strop and picked up again as it switch to the optical HR reader. 

I solved this problem by changing the battery in my chest strap HRM.  For future runs, I intend to turn off the optical HR reader so the watch cannot switch to it if it loses connection with the chest strap HRM.