This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

running for lose weight

hello,
is there a specific workout to running for lose weight? Something to download

or also a specific program: walking to lose weight

thanks for help
  • Nope. Simply exercise more, eat the same or less. Keep any exercise at a level where you can still maintain conversation relatively easily. Build from 30 mins of moderate intensity exercise 5 times a week. As you get fitter, then you might want to consider training to get faster/stronger depending on what you want to achieve. It won't happen overnight. There is no quick fix.

Whatever you do avoid replacing energy burnt through exercise by feeling you can rewarding yourself with extra food.;
  • I think the advice from philipshambrook about keeping the exercise light should be taken seriously. I can back it up with my own experience.

I have always been somewhat active, but I have also had an urge for food between main meals making it difficult for me to keep my weight down. A few months ago I started reading about low heart rate training and decided to try it out. All my training now happens at a heart rate at or below 130 BPM. (Which is quite low, given that my LTHR is 162, and my max. HR is 181).

At first I noticed that I could train longer and more often, making it possible to burn more active calories in a week. Good.

However, I also soon noticed something else: My hunger between main meals had vanished. Completely. This makes it much easier to follow Philip's advice about not rewarding yourself with additional food after training.

The reason is probably that by training at a low heart rate, I never deplete the sugar depots in my muscles, so the body will not demand an urgent carbohydrate refill after training. The fat that I burn instead of sugar when training at low heart rate somehow manages to fly under the radar so the body will not want a fat refill.

Result: Since Christmas I have lost 15 kg. That is more than 1 kg/week. There is no sign of it stopping. And I neither feel hungry nor tired as I will often do when trying to push down my weight.

(It should be said that I also changed one other thing: No fast carbohydrates. That means no sugar, sweet beverages, pasta, rice, white bread, potatoes etc. All my carbs come from vegetables. This may also be part of the explanation for the missing hunger, because it probably makes it easier to maintain an even blood sugar level.)

• I have found similar. Train within zones 1 &2 and your appetite doesn’t increase.  A pre breakfast 3.5 mile slow run & walk (hills), for me this morning came in at training effect 1.3 and 219 active calories.  After this run if anything I felt less hungry, than if I hadn’t been out.  The calories equates to 0.028 kg of fat burned so based on this intensity of exercise, that fat is fuelling this exercise and I don’t increase my food intake, it would take me 34 similar runs to lose 1kg.  80/20 Running and Runner’s World The Runners Body are two readable good books on the subject.

• No! There is no one-size-fits-all answer to this question. The best workout for you will depend on several factors.

• While running can be an effective way to shed pounds, it's not everyone's cup of tea. Personally, I'm not a fan of running either, so I prefer working out on a stationary bike or crosstrainer. They provide a low-impact cardio workout that still burns calories and helps with weight loss.
    If you're looking for specific programs or workout routines, there are many resources available online. One website that you might find helpful is Lifestyle to the MAX. They have a variety of articles and guides on fitness and weight loss, including tips for running, walking, and other exercises. It's worth checking out for some inspiration and guidance.
    Remember, finding an exercise routine that you enjoy and can stick to is key. It's all about finding what works best for you and your body. So don't hesitate to explore different activities until you find one that you genuinely enjoy.