This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Connecting to phone by USB

Hi All -

Anyone know how I can connect the 645M to my android phone (Samsung Note 8) to allow me move mp3's from the phone on to the watch?

I have a OTG cable and can physically connect both, but it does not show up as a drive in file manager on the phone - if I connect a flash drive through same OTG cable that shows up. The watch does show up as drive when connected by USB to my windows laptop.

Anyone know of any android apps/ drivers that would allow me connect watch to phone and use it as a mass storage device please?

Thanks!

LS
  • i dont think it is the same kind of mass storage device as with all previous garmins. eg a pc does NOT (and cannot) recognise it as a drive. on the watch there are two settings for how the device is recognised (mtp/garmin).
  • Thanks the5krunner - but I have been able to connect to a PC and drag and drop on mp3's via window explorer - I was hoping to be able to do the same but phone.
  • That's because of the MTP (media transfer protocol) mode mentioned above which Windows will have drivers for but your phone may not.
  • This monday, a day before my brand new 645 was going to arrive I was lazy and I connected my 230 to my tablet with a USB OTG cable to charge it. Never did that before, always charged on USB PC. It worked and it charged as expected, and my tablet recognized it as a drive, so it may work. But... when I disconnected the 230 it got frozen on the charging screen and I had to reboot it. After rebooting the watch was funky and I lost all my Connect IQ apps, and watch faces but the space was still used, the clock time was very off, but all the settings were correct... weird. All of this was easily fixable, so just small trouble.

Don't know if with a 645, or with another tablet (it was a Samsung Tab S2) it will work smoother. To be honest I am not going to try it again but I wish you luck :)
  • Under settings in the watch you can change the USB mode from MTP (Media Transfer) to USB or Garmin. I have no idea what "Garmin" is or if changing to USB will help you, but you can try.

Good luck.
  • LesSteaks, did you have any luck? I'm trying same with my 645M and Galaxy S7 running 8.0.0, and no dice so far. I've tried both "mtp" and "Garmin" usb modes on the watch, and when using mtp mode the phone seems to try to mount it otg and shows an "mtp host" notification saying "Accessing files from null". There is no indication in notifications or in file mgr apps that the watch's storage was successfully mounted.

Boo!

Anyone have a suggestion?

Edit: btw my phone is in fact able to mount other mass storage devices via MTP..
  • Reproducible with any MTP device (FR645, VA3M, fenix5+ series). 8.0/8.1/9.0 Android.
    Accessing files from null (?????? ? ?????? ?? ?????????? null - message in Cyrillic - Really, forum cannot display Cyrillic characters, sweet...).

Garmin support stated that it is "normal, works as expected and designed". They maintain and provide only Windows/Mac compatibility. At the same time Android File transfer utility from Google works with Garmin devices normally. Finally, Linux based OS Ubuntu works with MTP system in Garmin too.

Who should fix this issue - that is the question.