This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

FIT File Repair Help

Hi, any help repairing this file would be much appreciated. It's mostly correct apart from a few areas where it says I ran at 0:18/km across water! I'll attach it below.

The file: drive.google.com/.../1ASG-SWH4HE3AK_bNvZSuNWD878bPLDyp

Top Replies

All Replies

• Hi, I was looking back through my runs and noticed that a 7km run from around a month ago didn't have any elevation, location, or distance data for the first 2 and a bit kilometres, but still has the splits. I don't know if it just calculated the first 2 kilometre splits by subtracting the others from the total time or if something else happened but I'm not really sure how to fix it, or even if I can. Any help appreciated. 

The file: drive.google.com/.../17LGw_tZRR6t-xp-pTWfmPMyoEq9cLxqQ

• , when there is no GPS data, the watch uses its accelerometer to determine distance. If the watch wasn't recording GPS data, there is no way of getting it back, outside of using 3rd party software to add positional data from a known GPS track. If this was a simple out-and-back route and you're just missing part of the beginning, I could attempt it for you.

Edit: Done with the help of Fit File Repair Tool - D56A3715-fixed.fit

• Thank you so much, it’s pretty much perfect. Would you be able to explain how you did it or is it too complicated? I have a few more files with this issue and I’d love to be able to fix them myself rather than bothering people on here about it.

• explain how you did it or is it too complicated?

There were several steps, but briefly:

• Using Garmin Basecamp I created a new GPX file that includes the missing portion, which I created from the original, just inverted it.
    • Using Fit File Repair Tool with your imported original Fit file, used the "Add position data from GPX file" feature to create a new fit file with the corrected GPX information.

Your issue is not a common occurrence. Rather than trying to repair all your past activities, I'd suggest making sure you have a GPS lock before starting an activity. That's usually why the start of an activity will be missing GPS data.

• Thanks, I'm not really familiar with the basecamp software. I had a look but it seems very complicated, so I might ask on here to see if anyone else is able to fix the files. I think the reason I have this issue on some of my runs is becuase, as you said, I didn't realise you had to wait for GPS when I first got my watch. I wait for it to connect now so hopefully it shouldn't happen again. Once again, thank you so much for your help.

• Hi, I didn't realize I had to wait for the GPS to connect before starting my run when I first got my Forerunner 35, and, because of this, have a few files which are missing GPS data for the first 2 or so kilometers. They're all out and back runs so shouldn't be impossible to salvage (Someone on here has already helped me with one of them, but I don't want to keep bothering them). Alternatively, any guidance on how to fix files like these on the Garmin Basecamp software would be appreciated so I could do it myself; I've had a look at it but didn't know where to start or what to do. Thanks 

The Files: drive.google.com/.../17LGw_tZRR6t-xp-pTWfmPMyoEq9cLxqQ

• I can find the original fit files if needed

The fit files would contain more data.

• Ah ok, I didn’t think about that. I’m away from my computer right now but I’ll upload the fit files in about half an hour. Thanks for the heads up 

• Just uploaded the FIT files

• From a corruption standpoint, the file is fine. The fact is your watch didn't record your activity correctly. It gets a bit involved, but if this activity is really important to you and you've done this exact activity in the past, it's possible to use the corrected GPX track with this activity.

From the looks of your track, at 1.7 km it appears that the device lost GPS at a point where there was a lot of tree cover, which is a common issue among devices that use GPS.

Personally, if I had this watch with this issue:

• Reset your watch to defaults.
    • Sync with Garmin Express
    • Make sure you have a GPS lock before beginning an activity.
    • If you continue to have issues, consider a newer model Forerunner.