This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Forerunner 35 stopped activity when interacting with a notification

Today my Garmin Forerunner 35 did something that it has never done before, and I am curious if anybody has had this problem.

Just a bit of backstory so you can understand where I'm coming from. Every day, I ride my bike. It's always the same route. My watch is connected to my phone, so sometimes I get a notification that shows up on my watch during my activity. For those unfamiliar, you can view the message, then clear it if you want. I've done so in the past, and it's worked fine with no problems. Today through, I got a call on my phone, which is nothing unusual. It was from my good friend Spam Risk. I declined the call on my watch. Again, no problems. Once that happens, I usually get a notification saying I got a "missed call" (though technically, I didn't miss the call. I declined it. But that's beside the point) Anyway, when you get a missed call notification, the watch gives you two options. You can either call them back or clear the notification. I decided to clear it. That's when the problem happened. For some reason, It kicked me out of my activity. It ended the biking session and brought me back to the normal home screen. Frantically, I quickly tried to start a new biking activity in hopes that it might be running in the background or something for some reason. It immediately connected to the GPS and started the bike session. Strangely enough, it did bring me back to my activity. But it glitched out or something because it stopped counting time, distance, and calories. Everything else though, such as pace, average pace, and heart rate continued to be tracked. Everything else also worked. I was able to switch between the data fields, I was able to control music from my watch, and when I disconnected my phone by turning off Bluetooth, it stopped showing the Bluetooth icon, and then it reappeared when I turned it back on. I was also able to pull up the "power off" screen/menu. But what I wasn't able to do was pause the activity. No matter what I tried.

To put it in simpler terms, the screen did not freeze up. But for some reason, about half of the things that should work didn't. I had to eventually power off the whole device, as there was no other apparent way to stop the activity. Once powered back on, I synced with Garmin Connect and was able to view the activity up until the point where everything went haywire.

So pretty much, my questions are 1, why did interacting with a notification stop my entire activity, 2, why was I able to pick up where I left off in the activity, as that shouldn't be possible due to that fact it had stopped, and 3, why was I not able to stop my activity the second time? There is also a likely probability that this was just some freak glitch that just went off and there may not be much of a solution. But if anyone might have an answer to any of those questions, that would be most appreciated, but what I would find most helpful would be if someone could help me find the Garmin Support Team email. I just want them to see this so they could become aware of the situation and fix whatever happened. I have searched far and wide, but I wasn't able to find an email.

This is my first time posting on the forum, as my experience with my Forerunner 35 has been terrific in the year and a half that I've had it. That said if I'm a bit unclear in what I'm saying, please ask me to clarify and I will happily do so. Thank you so much for your time, and I hope you all have a very nice rest of your day. Slight smile