This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Auto lap splits showing in miles instead of kilometres

Up until sometime last month, my Forerunner 35 has been showing me my Outdoor Running splits every kilometre, which is what I want. However, for the past few weeks, it been showing me my splits every mile. How do I change it so that it uses kilometres again?

I do not know what change I might have made to cause this to happen. As far as I can tell, all my unit settings on my watch are in metric. I have tried disabling Auto Lap, syncing, enabling Auto Lap, and resyncing, but that has not helped.

What do I need to do to get this working in kilometres again?
  • Check Garmin Connect (ie the website). Look at devices and then settings. You?ll probably find you have units set to miles. You must have synced with Garmin Express recently and your settings were over written.
  • I did that before and double-checked it after your message. All the enabled unit settings are in metric. Puzzling.
  • I have the same issue . I had an issue with uploading and eventually restarted my watch , now laps are miles and pace is still min/km
  • Same problem here.
    Units are more often messed up on my Forerunner 35. I did a hard reset of the watch and choose English as language. In Garmin Connect (website) I set units to 'metric' and did a sync. Then I started running but the pace was in minute/mile on the watch, but the running distance was in kilometers! Also the weight and height were on the watch still shown in lbs and feet... On the web I changed units to imperial, did a sync, then back to metric, did a sync, and after that the pace was in minute/km.
    But now I see the laps in miles on the Smarthone App, although during the run my watch peeps after 1 km - not after 1 mile.

A piece of bad programming... and difficult to solve for the end user...

• Reset It Again and Do all the settings on the Watch Itself and Then Acquire Satellites. And Synch with the App. Request the Synch from the Watch Menu.

You can also try. Set the Watch to Miles on the Watch, Do a Short Activity in Miles and Then Set the Watch to Km.

Doing the Settings on the Watch works Best for Me.  I've had these problems before and managed to solve them by doing the settings on the watch. Sometimes you have to do it a few times.

The Web Settings can Override the Watch Settings. Garmin did not yet get it 100 % Right.

• Reset my watch several times recently as it wasn't counting steps. Never seems to fix the showing splits in miles issue. Watch and website set to metric.

• You can also try. Set the Watch to Miles on the Watch, Do a Short Activity in Miles and Then Set the Watch back to Km.

Doing This has Worked Before for Me.

Important: Use the Buttons on the Watch (Not the Apps) to Change Settings.

If at First you don't Succeed Try Again.

• Hi all, sorry to bump an old thread. I was looking for this issue but on my Forerunner 245 Music as this has been annoying me on my watch too, even after changing to metric etc etc

On my Garmin Forerunner 245 music, I can turn off my lap event notification, and create a new alert for every 1km

This has worked for me, hopefully it'll work for you

• I finally found the issue on my Garmin 245 music and fixed it without resetting everything.

Although the units were set to km, the "Auto Laps" were set up on my watch to record for every 1.62 km - this can be manually adjusted.

Go to: Settings, Activities & Apps. Run, Run Settings, Auto Lap, Laps, Auto Distance. Change it from 1.62 km to 1.0 km and you're done.