This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Forerunner 235 Battery is draining since software update

After installing the latest software version 8.20, my watch battery drains in less than half a day, even in standby mode.  I tried all the suggestions already like restarting the watch, and restoring the default settings, nothing has worked.

• When battery drain happens, then yes, it drains also in just watch mode, without starting activity.

Normally turning it off and on was enough. As yours is after factory reset, so without any user data or custom apps, then that's all. Well, you can probably only keep trying again, maybe wait a minute or so before turning it on again.

• I tried turning it off and waiting a few minutes before starting it, also tried turning off the heart rate monitor, which somebody else suggested, it didn't do anything.  This sucks, because it was working fine before the software update was installed.

• Ye, that's bad. Maybe leave it to discharge completely.

Also maybe changing software is worth trying like in this thread: Wrong date and time?. I didn't need to try it, but looks possible.

• I gave up, I downgraded the software, upgraded it again, no change.  Downgraded the software, and left it, no change. Turned off all accessories, GPS, heart rate, no change.  Turn the watch off when not using it, no change.  The only thing that works is the hard shutdown, press off button for 15 seconds, but is not really acceptable to have a usable watch.  Something has broken internally with the management of the watch, a sensor or something?  That is what I assume, anyway that is 5 years for this watch, so acceptable these days???  I will keep it for a backup, because it still works okay, but I bought a new one yesterday because I really need a proper watch.

• Same happens to me. It seems that we must wait until 8.3 version to see if Garmin is able to correct this error.

• I wonder if something has changed in the last few days. After typically lasting several days if I don't use the GPS to track a run, my watch is suddenly lasting less than 24 hours without turning on GPS to track a run. I haven't recently changed any of the settings and have the heart rate monitor turned off. I've also noticed that when I plug the watch into my laptop, the charge icon is no longer appearing on the watch unless I press the button in the upper right corner (runner image). I don't believe resetting the watch is helping.

• I don't think it was software related, I think it was a hardware issue.  I think the software update was just a coincidence, maybe something got fried internally when the watch restarted, after the update.  Anyway, these watches are pretty old now, and nothing lasts forever these days.

• You're probably right. However, I've only had my watch about 2 1/2 years, and I'd expect it to last longer than that.

• That kinda sucks, you would expect better than that.  Anyway, last time they released a software update was more than 2 years ago, so I wouldn't hold my breath waiting.  Your issue might be something different, because my watch was not lasting more than 7 hours, which indicates it was always stuck in non-standby mode.  You could try the hard-reset, or downgrading the software and upgrading again, which others have documented here.

• Exact same problem: I updated to 8.20 recently (I usually only pair my device a few times a year, so I was late with the update). Right after the 8.20 update, it started draining the battery. Very clearly.

How can I downgrade? I'm running Linux and I don't have the previous firmware anywhere...