This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

235 watch distance measuring short

Hi, I recently ran marathon and half marathon and noticed my 235 measured short on both occassions. To ensure my Garmin to recognize a new PR I kept moving after the official finish line until my 235 also reached the distance. It was about 200m off. Later in Connect I then manually replaced my recorded time with the official published time of the event. But this is not what i want to bother about when i reach the finish line. Is there maybe an easier way to adjust inaccurate data so that pr is recognised for a given activity?

• I only want to say that I agree with you that Garmin consistently measures short. I find it surprising there isn't much more about this subject online, given the number of people with Garmin watches. If you pay such sums of money for these devices then you want them to be accurate.

• Late to party, noticed my FR235 does the same thing. 

• Well, this may depend on a route and surrounding. Open your activity on the Web and check if its path is correct, like there is no cut corners.

• Maybe.  Noticed this on a few different occasions when running with people who use an app and phone GPS to track a run.  Garmin was showing about 0.15 mile short over a 3 mile course.  Even when walking on a marked path, Garmin will come up short vs the marker.  Not going pro anytime soon, so it doesn't bother me that much, just made a note that my 9 m/mi pace might be 8:45 m/mi on their app...

Cheers

D

GPS Accuracy of Garmin, Polar, and other Running Watches - Fellrnr.com, Running tips

"I expected GPS watches to improve with time, but the opposite appears to be happening. With the Garmin devices especially, you can see that the older watches generally do far better than the newer ones. I suspect this is due to compromises to get better battery life and smaller packaging and the cost of GPS accuracy."

Kind of an interesting article.