This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Garmin Forerunner 235 GPS Dead?

Hi.

I bought a Garmin Forerunner 235 about 5-6 months ago. Yesterday I took it off and charged it when I went to bed. When I woke up today the watch was "stuck" on the logo screen so I had to manually restart it. When I started it up again the date and time was set wrong (1 day in the past).

I tried using the GPS to force it to update the date and time, but the GPS is not working anymore. The signal strength has a red X on it, no matter how long I have it outside under open skies.

Is my watch dead? Did a firmware update brick my GPS during the night? Is there anything I can do or do I have to send this back under warranty?

Thanks.

Firmware versions:
GPS: 3.30
Display: 2.30
Bluetooth/ANT: 2.50
WHR: 2.70 (10.02.21)
Connect IQ: 1.4.5
  • MPCPRO - have you tried a hard reset - that will take the watch back to factory settings - you should be able to find how to do that in the manual. If that fails then take back to the retailer - good luck
  • MPCPRO - have you tried a hard reset - that will take the watch back to factory settings - you should be able to find how to do that in the manual. If that fails then take back to the retailer - good luck

Hi JSRUNNER_

I tried doing a hard reset. The GPS shows up again (on the top left) flashing between 0 and 1 bar. When I go into the "apps" program to use one of my programs I've downloaded, the dreaded Red X comes back. Could it be an issue with one of the third party apps? Once I use a third party app, the red X wont go away until I do another hard reset. But I've tried not using the third party apps and using one of the built in GPS apps (running), but it doesnt say in that app if it is getting a GPS signal or not. Usually a popup shows up saying I have a signal. So I'm not quite sure anymore.. hmm
  • There are settings WITHIN the Activty Settings for the GPS setting for that Activity. Check and make certain that you are using an activity with the GPS turned ON. Note, I have found that GPS + GLONASS is MUCH MUCH FASTER and establishing a lock so that is what I use. I will also switch the GPS to ON for Indoor Run when walking the dog because it won't effect my VO2 Max reading. Try Walking a dog stopping at nearly every tree using the Run Function and you will find it is a quick way to see your VO2 Max plunge into the teens. As a result of doing this I have discovered that nearly every activity can be used with the GPS active even if it's labeled as an "indoor" activity.