This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Fr235 heart rate always on = draining the battery

Hi,

Beginning on Friday last week my forerunner 235 (purchased in December 2015) started to lose battery at a rapid rate to the point that I can no longer get 24 hours of battery life from a full charge. At first I thought I must have been accidentally turning on running mode but have since realised that the wrist based heart rate monitor is permanently on which I believe is the cause of the poor battery.

I have restored all settings, done a soft reset and done a hard reset. All failed to solve the issue.

The watch is;
Software Version: 7.50 (bdd586f)
GPS: 3.10
Display: 2.20
Bluetooth/ANT: 2.40
WHR: 2.70 (10.02.21)
Connect IQ: 1.4.1

Just to give/confirm details, the wrist based heart rate monitor remains permanently on when in watch mode with the heart rate setting as 'auto'. This is draining the battery. Setting the heart rate as 'off' turns off the wrist based heart rate monitor.

I apologise if this is posted in the wrong place, but any help/advice of how I can solve this issue would be much appreciated. Has anyone else had this problem?
  • Follow up post.

Turning off the wrist based heart rate solved the battery issue. However, throughout the day it (for some reason unknown to me) has been turning back on and thus draining the battery.

Anyone down why this might be happening?
  • check garmin connect app, go to settings -> select your forerunner 235 -> device settings, and turn wrist heart rate off. If it's turned on, it might be syncing that setting to your watch.
  • Same thing happened to my 235 a few weeks ago. This seems to be a recurring issue with a lot of people (there are several other posts about it) and Garmin doesn't seem to have a fix at the moment other than to replace the unit. Contact Garmin support and explain that the HR LEDs are stuck on. Got mine replaced within a week.
  • Mine has been doing the same for approximately the same time period. Contacted support but no offer of replacement yet.
  • My FR235 just started doing this this past week. I just sent in an email to support. I'm sure hoping they look favorably on my situation. Battery depleted in 2 days...always on, and no amount of turning off, restarting, or resetting to factory defaults is resolving the situation. It remains on constantly unless I disable the HRM in settings. I too have turned it off for now but I sure like seeing my heart rate at various times and at various activities.
  • My watch behaves the same. Decided to send it in to Garmin for service.
    Accordingly to the service support agent this was a well known error.

He sent me a guide which I needed to follow first, it that wouldn't fix it then they wanted the watch sent to service.

1) Disable heart rate monitor manually from the watch settings. Set from auto to off.
    2) Perform a hard reset by holding the upper left button for about 20 seconds.
    3) Start the watch again and activate the heart rate monitor again, from off to auto.

If that doesn't fix your problem you need to send your watch to service (according to the person I spoke to at their service number).

• I suffered the same and unfortunately this fix doesn't work for me. I think that Garmin must release a new software version to correct this problem

• I have the same issue with software version 8.2. I think that Garmin must release a new version to correct this issue

• Same happens to me with software version 8.2

Garmin must release a new version to correct this issue 

• I have this problem as well. I am meant to send in the watch for service.