This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Can't connect to extra HR monitor

I received a Forerunner 235 for Christmas, and so far for the most part I love the thing. There's one issue, though, that I can't seem to resolve. I have an Polar H7 HR sensor that I'd like to pair with the watch, but have been unable to do so.

Just to eliminate the usual issues:
1. I am wearing the external HR sensor when trying to connect it to the 235
2. I have tried holding the 235 directly against the H7
3. I have confirmed the H7 is working, as it connects with my Polar app on my phone just fine and I get HR readings through the app.
4. I have tried turning off the 235's wrist HR monitor (I know this shouldn't be necessary, but gave it a shot anyway).

The one thing I haven't tried is a factory reset on the watch.

Besides doing the reset, I'm at a loss as to what to try next, if anything.

Any thoughts? I came across one posting where a user described a similar issue and he ultimately needed to get the watch replaced.

thanks
  • You're trying to use an incompatible type of external sensor

I'm pretty sure the Polar H7 only transmits using Bluetooth Smart, and the Garmin Forerunner will only use external sensors that transmit using ANT+.
  • The only Garmin models the H7 will connect to is the new Fenix 5 series. All others require ANT+ heart rate straps.

If you want to use both your 235 and your phone (but I don't know why you would), you need something like a Wahoo Tickr or 4iiii Viiiiva.
  • B&H Photo and Video has the Garmin Premium Heart Monitor with the Soft Strap for 44.95. Having done business with B&H since the early 80's I can say with certainty that they are VERY trustworthy and usually very fast to ship out an order. However as the owners are Jewish they respect the Jewish Sabbath and will not process or ship any order during the Sabbath. My simple rule for placing an order is to do it Monday to Thursday because that insures that the processing won't push the ship day to after the Sabbath. I will also recommend that you think about picking up a couple of the Polar soft straps at the same time. Because the Garmin Soft Strap is a lot more sensitive to salt buildup from sweat than the Polar strap and with a very minor trimming of the plastic "rim" surrounding the snaps the Garmin chest monitor will fit perfectly.