This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Possible Actual Pace/Pace bug when connecting a chest strap HRM

Hi has anyone else had /is having the same issues I am currently going through?

I have had very little issue with the pacing of the 235 since I bought it - always used actual pace / real time pace to guide my runs and always been reasonably happy with the OHRM noting it minor nuances and quirks.

The other day I decided to link my chest strap to the 235 to firm up some HR training Ive decided to do and it since pairing the GPS on the watch has been totally bonkers. throwing actual pace all over the place to the point I managed a 10 and 5 km PB the other day I was pushing so hard as the numbers were so wrong!!!

I ran it against my old vivoactive and the pace on that device seemed fine, had to stop the 235 mid run and reset it and it seemed to calm down abit then to something to what the vivoactive was showing.

Is anyone else seen this issue? and is anyone else's GPS readings currently being funny?

Thanks Graeme
  • Former Member
    0 Former Member over 7 years ago
    Wouldn't expect to see any issues with the device tracking pace when connected to an external HRM. I haven't seen any other reports, and I am not seeing this on my device.

If possible post thinks to the activties where you wore the 235 and vivoactive so that the split times can be compared to see if any conclusions can be made based on that information.

If other users are seeing this same behavior, post in this thread so that this can be investigated further.
  • Hi Joseph,

Thank you,

The problem is very much around real time pace being shown on the watch as I am running - it varies wildly (far beyond the discrepancies you can expect with such real time pace data).

But once I have finish the run and uploaded the lap data can also look quite odd on some platforms, on both of my last two runs where the watch has played up, the start location has been off by a long way and it seems to disrupt the watch from that point forward as I was running. see below -

Start discrepancies

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1534067920 - 235

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1534065790 - vivoactive

As noted in my first post - my 10 km and 5 km PB came about from the watch data showing incorrect pace. When I uploaded this to Garmin and Strava, the data from Strava was completely wrong whereas the GC data and summary data within the watch at the end of the activity was correct.

https://www.strava.com/activities/836203904 - I didn't actually run 11 km - but somewhere the data from the watch collected a 1.48 km pace first 1 km.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1531166953 - the 235 data from the same run

again - the incorrect start location seemed to throw the watch for the remainder of the run.

For note - I have not installed any widgets or apps to the watch since I bought it, and the only real addition to the watch I have made is the very recent pairing of the HR strap. Before this I haven't had any issues with GPS accuracy or pace data.

If you could consider the above data and see if you could provide some clarity and a possible solution it would be appreciated.

Thank you

Graeme
  • I appreciate that you are not a new user, but it is always worth checking the basics. It is very unlikely to be anything to do with the strap. Here come the speculations/questions;

You start running near apartment blocks. Have you given the 235 a good chance to get a signal lock? Even after a lock I still wait a further 10 - 15 seconds for a 'better' lock. You might look at the Pace field on both devices to check that they both read zero.

Please consider the weather. I started using my Garmin two summers ago. It was a surprise when winter came with its cloudy days and lower GPS accuracy.

Have you recently synced with Express? I would like to ensure that the satellite cache is bang up to date. On my 920xt they seem to come around weekly.

When writing about pace problems during a run, please clearly indicate the exact field you are looking at. Personally, during a run, I only ever look at Lap Pace, as it is more stable.
  • If you are using instant pace for anything... in many watches (235 has been the worst for me...compared to 10 and 110) the Instant pace is just too up/down...picking up on any bit of satellite noise or pace change it seems. If you watch the watch... it will continue to change 'pace' by a minute per mile every few seconds! rediculous

Using the 'Configurable Pace' or 'Speed' (for biking) application from Connect IQ Store will allow for adjustable 'current pace' - depending on your signal/watch/pacing accuracy you might need this to be anywhere from 10-120seconds... works pretty good, although I end up always going back to my LapPace screen2.

Otherwise lap pace , especially if you are using lap at 1 km (vs mile) will also be a good metric. Can use the arrow button to trigger a manual lap if doing intervals.
  • I appreciate that you are not a new user, but it is always worth checking the basics. It is very unlikely to be anything to do with the strap. Here come the speculations/questions;

You start running near apartment blocks. Have you given the 235 a good chance to get a signal lock? Even after a lock I still wait a further 10 - 15 seconds for a 'better' lock. You might look at the Pace field on both devices to check that they both read zero.

Please consider the weather. I started using my Garmin two summers ago. It was a surprise when winter came with its cloudy days and lower GPS accuracy.

Have you recently synced with Express? I would like to ensure that the satellite cache is bang up to date. On my 920xt they seem to come around weekly.

When writing about pace problems during a run, please clearly indicate the exact field you are looking at. Personally, during a run, I only ever look at Lap Pace, as it is more stable.

Hi Thanks for taking the time to input - yes I've normally waited roughly 10 secs post GPS ready for the watch to steady itself before setting off.

I agree at times the weather can affect the GPS accuracy or at least acquiring GPS signal - but on the last day I ran, the weather was a crisp day, not a cloud in sight.

One thing I wouldn't mind your thoughts on or anyone else who stumbles across the thread is - to the best of your knowledge - do I have to sync with express to get the satellite locations for the 7 days - always just used GC mobile for everything (vivoactive and 235) since I ditched my 310XT. Garmin haven't as far as I can see - ever expressly stated that we as users need to use express to cache our satellite locations to the watches.

apologies I thought real time pace was enough to work from - really like using it and haven't had the large discrepancies noted below, I do find it keeps me on track and is always around 5 secs within my Lap Pace.

Ran over the weekend and it seems to have sorted itself out - I sync using express - so it may have played a part.

Thanks again
    Graeme
  • If you are using instant pace for anything... in many watches (235 has been the worst for me...compared to 10 and 110) the Instant pace is just too up/down...picking up on any bit of satellite noise or pace change it seems. If you watch the watch... it will continue to change 'pace' by a minute per mile every few seconds! rediculous

Using the 'Configurable Pace' or 'Speed' (for biking) application from Connect IQ Store will allow for adjustable 'current pace' - depending on your signal/watch/pacing accuracy you might need this to be anywhere from 10-120seconds... works pretty good, although I end up always going back to my LapPace screen2.

Otherwise lap pace , especially if you are using lap at 1 km (vs mile) will also be a good metric. Can use the arrow button to trigger a manual lap if doing intervals.

Hi,

maybe I'm just a general plodder but I haven't seen the level of discrepancy that you mention in the instant/ real time pace and always find it very useful for me. Aware that corners etc will cause pace to change but just ignore that reading for a few seconds and it levels out pretty quick.

I haven't delved into Connect IQ yet - as it seems most update issues result from Connect IQ problems so I've stayed away for now and I've always been very happy with the level of data Garmin present on the watch already.

Thanks again for your input.

Graeme
  • One thing I wouldn't mind your thoughts on or anyone else who stumbles across the thread is - to the best of your knowledge - do I have to sync with express to get the satellite locations for the 7 days - always just used GC mobile for everything (vivoactive and 235) since I ditched my 310XT. Garmin haven't as far as I can see - ever expressly stated that we as users need to use express to cache our satellite locations to the watches.

To the best of my knowledge:
    No, you don't have to use Garmin Express to sync satellite data to your watch. Garmin Connect mobile app should work as well. That's one thing. The other thing is that syncing satellite location is helpful only in getting a quicker GPS fix. Once a fix has been made, it does not improve accuracy in any way.
  • Hi Graeme, 

Appreciate this post is 6yrs old, but I’m having issues with my Fenix 6x Pro which are exactly as you’ve described. Live pace and total distance off from the true values. Did you ever resolve this? 

Thanks