This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

What a Pile of Rubbish

Former Member
Former Member
have had my garmin 235 since December - have always thought the HR was playing up especially when im doing HIIT - anyhow 1st time i went thru to garmin support they said it was the firmware - so i stuck with the watch for a bit longer - had my suspicion as when out of breath the HR was saying i was like 100 - so i set up my HR belt and stuck the bike computer on - the results were shocking - the belt was up at 140 150 - the 235 was still at 100 110... so a final call was made to support and the watch will be replaced - i swear the watch is not fit for purpose when made but i will now await the new watch and make tests again..
  • Former Member
    0 Former Member over 8 years ago
    I always use a chest strap for all my workouts and only "trust" the oHRM for HR readings while sleeping or just doing every day activities. Here are a couple of good reads:
    https://www.wareable.com/fitness-trackers/heart-rate-monitor-accurate-comparison-wrist
    http://www.cnet.com/news/how-accurate-are-wristband-heart-rate-monitors/
  • Accuracy from optical HR, particularly at high intensity, highly active activities is still a work in progress. Check the forums for the other optical HR enabled devices. Everything there is relevant. Optical HR is fine for light activity but not yet ready for more athletic endeavours.

Apparently it does get better if you wear it as tight as you might apply a tourniquet. But then you might be in danger of losing a limb due to loss of circulation ;-)
  • FORErunner 235 = FOREarm Heart-rate.
  • Former Member
    0 Former Member over 8 years ago
    I know a lot of people went with the FR235 to avoid a chest strap, but I use one for every workout I do because the technology of the oHRM isn't there yet. Here are two good articles:

http://www.cnet.com/news/how-accurat...rate-monitors/

https://www.wareable.com/fitness-tra...mparison-wrist
  • Accuracy from optical HR, particularly at high intensity, highly active activities is still a work in progress. Check the forums for the other optical HR enabled devices. Everything there is relevant. Optical HR is fine for light activity but not yet ready for more athletic endeavours.

Apparently it does get better if you wear it as tight as you might apply a tourniquet. But then you might be in danger of losing a limb due to loss of circulation ;-)

Partially agree, OHR isn't as robust and precise as a band but Garmin's implementation is way below what you might expect imo. They screwed up going for their own sensor or something, other devices perform better. Also, the lack of updates (nothing in a month and even 2 wrt the OHR) annoys the hell out of me... while other, newer, products seem to get updates. Feels like a 'ha! so you spent your money? Time to lure in others', feels like Garmin doesn't care about their customers.. even those buying a 350 euro watch.
  • They screwed up going for their own sensor or something, other devices perform better.
    The technical validity of Garmin's decision to use optical heart rate sensor hardware developed in-house for the FR235 is only subject to challenge if:
    • the sensor is not fit for purpose, on the basis that it fails to achieve some threshold(s) of acceptable accuracy and reliability; and
    • the Mio sensor in the FR225 performs better and achieves/exceeds the same threshold(s).

Also, the lack of updates (nothing in a month and even 2 wrt the OHR) annoys the hell out of me... while other, newer, products seem to get updates.
    So? If Garmin cannot ‘fix’ the performance of the FR235's oHRM today, then there is no point in releasing WHR firmware updates, is there? On the other hand, if Garmin is ready to ‘fix’ the FR235's oHRM today, I just cannot see why it would hold back releasing the fix. That there are updates released for other models with Garmin's Elevate sensor is not exactly proof that the changes implemented in those updates could be used to improve the FR235's oHRM performance.

Maybe Garmin isn't trying very hard, but it doesn't mean it should push out WHR updates that won't fix the issue anyway.
  • The technical validity of Garmin's decision to use optical heart rate sensor hardware developed in-house for the FR235 is only subject to challenge if:
    • the sensor is not fit for purpose, on the basis that it fails to achieve some threshold(s) of acceptable accuracy and reliability; and
    • the Mio sensor in the FR225 performs better and achieves/exceeds the same threshold(s).

So? If Garmin cannot ‘fix’ the performance of the FR235's oHRM today, then there is no point in releasing WHR firmware updates, is there? On the other hand, if Garmin is ready to ‘fix’ the FR235's oHRM today, I just cannot see why it would hold back releasing the fix. That there are updates released for other models with Garmin's Elevate sensor is not exactly proof that the changes implemented in those updates could be used to improve the FR235's oHRM performance.

Maybe Garmin isn't trying very hard, but it doesn't mean it should push out WHR updates that won't fix the issue anyway.

Given the amount of issues and complaints with regards to it it doesn't really seem to be fit for purpose. My experiences with the MIO sensor (in the tomtom watch) were a lot better. Adjusted faster, way less cadence lock issues, more stable... The fact that there are so many complaints about the 235 does indicate the OHR isn't really living up to expectations. I expected more then 'performs ok pretty often when jogging at an easy pace without any variation'. The thing with developing your own sensor is that you are re-inventing the wheel and should only be doing that when you are willing to spend a lot of time optimizing, improving and fixing it... Looking at Garmin they don't really do that. With the MIO sensor the base ground has been fixed and laid out...

About the updates, apparently garmin claimed an update would be out 'soon' for a month or so already. For example the '72bpm' issue has been fixed for quite a while in the Vivosmart HR while we are still waiting. If they aren't able to fix their issues it only proves their incapability.

Thing is this watch isn't all that old but already feels forgotten. It is even worse because it could be so great. But yeah, of course there is the possiblity that the current issues can't be fixed, but even that would be good to hear... And that would mean that this watch is only fit for the casual runner who sees OHR as a gimmick.

Ah well, keeping my hopes up still and hoping to be surprised soon...
  • Optical HRM is simply a different compromise, and not an outright superior solution

Given the amount of issues and complaints with regards to it it doesn't really seem to be fit for purpose.
    Maybe it isn't. My point is simply that the Mio sensor used in the FR225 may also have not been fit for purpose either, in which case going for an alternative solution may not have been a screw-up in decision-making. I know I've seen some user reports of the optical HR sensor on the FR225 not working well for certain individuals, but I'm not going to go through the FR225 subforum and/or blog comments on the DCRainmaker site to try to gauge the prevalence of issues with it.

Just to be clear, I'm not talking about whether the company (and its customers' interests, too, as a secondary concern) would prove to be better served, if the same commitment, investment of time and effort and/or financial expense in developing the Elevate sensor in-house was spent on improving the Mio sensor-based solution instead.

My experiences with the MIO sensor (in the tomtom watch) were a lot better. Adjusted faster, way less cadence lock issues, more stable...
    Yet TomTom has also abandoned the Mio sensor in the design of the Spark Cardio. I wonder which non-Mio brands of GPS running/multi-sport watches are still using Mio sensors in their new products? If nobody else is that segment of the industry (as opposed to casual 24x7 activity trackers, which run to some pretty cheap ‘no-name’ Asian OEMs as well as more established brands in the market) is using with Mio sensors any more, then there must be some issue(s) which we, as consumers, may not be aware of (or care about), but nevertheless real enough such that those who have the responsibility for making the decisions are eschewing the brand.

The fact that there are so many complaints about the 235 does indicate the OHR isn't really living up to expectations.
    OK, so expectation management (as in one of the responsibilities of the Marketing department) is deficient, at least in part.

I expected more then 'performs ok pretty often when jogging at an easy pace without any variation'. The thing with developing your own sensor is that you are re-inventing the wheel and should only be doing that when you are willing to spend a lot of time optimizing, improving and fixing it...
    See, I disagree with that. Hypothetically, if using a third-party OEM component would've scored 95/100 on some scale of solution effectiveness, while a significantly cheaper in-house replacement solution for a new generation of product only scores 91/100, but the threshold of acceptability is 90/100, then it would still be a commercially and technically sound decision to go for the latter.

Sorry, but we're talking about dealing with consumers in the mass-market, and it's not a tacitly agreed objective to deliver the best technical solution and/or to the widest user base possible, and uplift the total benefit offered to customers. We're talking about doing just enough to sustainably profit from voluntary and discretionary spending by people who want stuff they think will improve their quality/enjoyment of life.

About the updates, apparently garmin claimed an update would be out 'soon' for a month or so already. For example the '72bpm' issue has been fixed for quite a while in the Vivosmart HR while we are still waiting.
    To me, the question is whether the Vivosmart HR is able to arrive at an accurate HR reading quicker. I don't have an issue with the sensor using 72bpm as some sort of default starting point, if it can get to an accurate reading within a few seconds; however, on my FR235 it seems to take upwards of 30 seconds to get there when my heart rate is low and stable, i.e. when not excited and/or exercising, and more than 60 seconds even if I'm just walking briskly pushing my HR above 95 bpm. Now, if a WHR update didn't make the HR reading correct itself significantly more quickly than that, then not displaying 72bpm as a default starting point would merely be a cosmetic improvement, and misleading all the same to the user (who may just believe whatever is displayed with fluctuations within the first 15 seconds is reasonably accurate).

If they aren't able to fix their issues it only proves their incapability.
    No argument from me there.

Thing is this watch isn't all that old but already feels forgotten. It is even worse because it could be so great.
    See, as a consumer of IT for a long time and also having worked in solution development for over 15 years, I don't have a problem with that. Paying good money for great hardware doesn't mean I, as the purchaser, is entitled to be handed the full potential of the hardware on a platter (either upfront, or over the useful lifetime of the hardware), when IT solutions also involve application software/firmware. I'm accustomed to and accepting of the idea that, for example, buying a ‘PC’ at a particular price point often gives me better on-paper hardware specs than a Mac at the equivalent price point, but it doesn't mean the former is able to better deliver my desired end-user outcomes in practice. Nor do I feel there is any obligation on the part of the manufacturer to keep releasing improvements in firmware/drivers/applications (free of additional charge, with the ongoing support cost already factored into the purchase price upfront) to further exploit the potential of hardware that has already been paid for, and improve the value proposition after the initial purchase transaction.

Continually supporting and improving solution performance post-sales may well be what it takes for manufacturers to stay relevant and competitive in today's market, but I don't feel wronged, slighted, short-changed or otherwise have a negative emotional response to being seemingly ‘forgotten’, irrespective of whether I paid above average prices for hardware that is considered better than the norm (at the time of purchase, anyway).

The only thing I insist on are defect fixes, without which a product is demonstrably not fit for purpose – in which case I return the damn thing for a refund under Australian Consumer Law (which still won't give me technical satisfaction or quality-of-life benefits promised by current technology, because they are not actually consumer entitlements). I draw a clear distinction between fixing issues that manifest in units already sold, and (in your words) optimizing and improving something post-sales instead of leaving such improvements as selling points for the next wave of products that use the same hardware.

But yeah, of course there is the possiblity that the current issues can't be fixed, but even that would be good to hear... And that would mean that this watch is only fit for the casual runner who sees OHR as a gimmick.
    I'm a casual runner, and the oHRM is good enough for me. However, I don't accept it's a case of seeing it as a gimmick. Instead, I see wrist-worn oHRM (regardless of brand) as a technically inferior solution to products that use tried-and-true ECG technology, but it offers the advantage of not having to buy/wear a separate chest strap HRM in terms of cost, convenience and/or comfort. In other words, it's a different compromise from having a running watch with no built-in oHRM and wearing a chest strap – and access to this compromise option costs money if I want it. I don't assume it was designed to be equal or better in every aspect that other compromise options, as if oHRM is an evolution in how the consumer is served.
  • Changing sensors is more likely a money/control thing then a functionality thing I think, but one can only guess about that. Another point is that there just aren't that many alternatives... Garmin and TomTom are the only ones delivering the product I seek so I'm pretty much stuck to those.

I am sitll planning on buying a TomTom for the right price as well, even though I like the Garmin product more (design and functionality wise). Also, I do believe I read about more complaints with the new TomTom watches compared to their old products as well, after changing sensors.

Perhaps I was spoiled with TomTom and just got lucky that it worked so good for me. But that did cause me to have expectations, unfortunately not delivered. But true, I'm looking at it from the consumer level and not the manufacturer. You do have a point about going for the cheaper, but good enough for their standards, solution.

The 72bpm issue was just an example btw, an issue which Garmin addressed as a bug themselves and has been fixed in other products while we are still waiting. An example of why it feels we are already being moved to the 2nd row... My resting HR is in the low 50s, so when checking the HR and it moves up to 72 only to move down afterwards it seems to waste a lot of time so in that sense it annoys me. But as long as it doesn't mess up your averages it's not as big of an issue.

And I don't expect them to add functionality, you buy based on what it is now, but I DO expect them to deliver on said functionality and for as long as that doesn't work as expected or promised they should fix that.

Perhaps if my experiences with the previous OHR weren't as good I would look at this product completely different. I don't expect it to be perfect, but I have experienced how it CAN behave so it disappoints me when a newer release/version is a step backward.

Ah well, no demands can be made and in the end we have no option then to hope the best from Garmin. Unfortunately this does form my opinion on the manufacturer and if people would ask me my opinion on it it would not be too good.

But hopefully an update will come and we can continue to use your watches with the highest level of joy possible for each of us individually ;)
  • I think Flipstone hit it on the head in his first sentence. The switch away from the Mio sensor, for both Garmin and Tom Tom, is a matter of product differentiation. If every running watch with built in oHRM is using the same sensor then it's harder to sell the differences between your device and your competitors.

Personally I was using a Mio Fuse paired with a FR220 early last year, then the FR225, and now the FR235. Once the latest HRM firmware update came out my readings during runs the data I got from the 235 was comparable with the other 2 solutions only now the data is presented on a larger screen in watch that weighs less.

Is the 72bpm thing a little annoying? Yes, but I'm not too bothered with it since I'm not looking for what my HR is at every moment of everyday and the over view I get is just fine for my purposes. Other than that I see no real difference between the Mio solution and Garmin's Elevate.