small gap in the left crankset

Hi everyone,

I received the tacx neo bike smart 2 weeks and been having the following issue. On every pedal stroke, there is a feeling on the left side as if there was a little gap coming from the crankarm and it was very slightly moving. It is happening on every rotation and that's the only thing I can think about (drives me crazy). It happens less if I am being really careful with my pedaling technique and making really nice circles...

I made a video that shows that the left crankarm is moving slightly from approx 135 to 235 degrees (check for the sound when moving the arm left/right)

https://1drv.ms/v/s!Ahs6UdVC8zZBn3fwG9qYm_yf5s4x

I did check the screw already and it is tight.

Anyone experienced this issue?

I bought the bike from Tredz, and waiting for TNT to pick up the parcel for warranty/exchange/refund but wanted to check in here in the meantime if there is an easy fix...

Thank you!

Benjamin

• How complicated was it to take "apart the whole crankset" here?  I am having a similar issue - the plastic torx screw actually popped off the left crank arm, and the crank arm cam loose shortly thereafter.  In my case, when I slide the crank arm back on as far as it will go, the plastic torx screw won't engage with the threads on the spindle, but if I screw it into the spindle without the crank arm on it threads just fine.  It looks like it *might* be that the end threads on the torx screw are stripped.

I reached out to Garmin support and they're shipping me a "Neo bike assembly kit", but near as I can tell it doesn't have the part I'd need, namely, a new torx screw that will thread. Support person was very nice but not sure she had the right data to address my issue.

I'm wondering if I should try to find a similar sized replacement part at a local hardware store or something.

• Hi! Same problem here mate! The plastic torcx couldn't reattach on to the spindle. I just carried the torcx to a local worker and he wil make me another one - as this one has cleary stripped the first few mm of the screw.

But i also question - if it is okay if on the left spindle - when i pop off the torcx - i see that the pedal doesnt reach entirely to the bike? There is some gap - if you are able to understand me? I cannot remember if there was a gap when i bought one.

Would appreciate any insight into that.

Thanks! Kind regards from Slovenia.

• Not sure if I have seen a gap there, but will check. 

My problems are gone since I tightened the bolt as hard as I could with a 10 cm hex AFTER I tightened the plastic a litte bit first just to pre-align the crank arm. 

Read a post where someone wrote that they bought an off-the-shelf replacement part for the plastic bolt from Amazon.  

• Yes - small gap.  Garmin just replaced my whole base unit when my torx bolt stripped, and brand new out of the box there's a small gap. It doesn't sit flush like the right side crank arm.

• Thanks! That was a huge help :). Have a nice one :) 

• I too have had my left crank loosen up and found that the plastic crank bolt was actually stripped of its threads.  With some research I found, on a Facebook group, a recommendation to replace the plastic crank bolt with an aluminum one that can be purchased on Amazon, and probably at your LBS, as it is a standard size M18 crank bolt used on various crank assemblies.

Currently I have rigged it up with a length of threaded rod, large fender washers, and nuts clamping it through the hollow axle until the new crank bolt arrives.

• I have a similar issue that I can feel some play when I'm peddaling but when I pedal really smooth circles I don't feel it. When I get off the bike I cannot feel any play in the crankarms and there is no problem with the left crank arm bolt. However, I have also noticed that this play goes away when I ride over cobblestones or gravel, that is when the neo bike uses the road feel feature. My first guess of what is happening is that the belt is not tensioned enough and when the road feel is used the belt is tensioned by the motor that generates the vibrations. Is that a viable guess?

• I have a similar issue that I can feel some play when I'm peddaling but when I pedal really smooth circles I don't feel it. When I get off the bike I cannot feel any play in the crankarms and there is no problem with the left crank arm bolt. However, I have also noticed that this play goes away when I ride over cobblestones or gravel, that is when the neo bike uses the road feel feature. My first guess of what is happening is that the belt is not tensioned enough and when the road feel is used the belt is tensioned by the motor that generates the vibrations. Is that a viable guess?

• The plastic crank bolt is mainly for lining up the crankarm, then the arm should be tighten with the crank bolts. 

This is a issue on normal crank arms also, i would strip the crank from grease and apply some locktite, like four small dots of a "weak" locktite. I have ridden with out a crankbolt on my outdoor bike a long time due to supply issues. Then tight the crank bolt as per correct NM. 

• HI

I'm having this problem now. Received the same info about tightening the central crank bolt with a 8mm hex key (which barely fits...the head of the bolt is designed for a Torx wrench or similat tool) All the play disappeared and there is now no knocking on the left. However I have asked Garmin what size the bolt head fitting is and to what torque it should be tightened so that it doesn't keep coming loose. The bike has opened up a world of cycling all year round...it's a pity this quality issue is getting in the way.