This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

VO2max - same activity measurements but different VO2max values

Hi,

I am using a Vivosport and sometimes get puzzling results with vo2max estimates.

For example, my vo2max decreased from 40 to 35 in the past 10-12 months, corresponding to a decline in fitness age by about 20 years for a 60 year-old.  This happened even though my activity level, heart rate, max. heart rate and weight are all basically the same.  I typically run at approximately 95-100% of max. heart rate for my age.

So, I now have different vo2max estimates for what looks like the same activity and measurements.  Has anyone else experienced this problem and does anyone know why? 

Thanks for any inputs or hints.

• Yes - the VO2 max estimates are crap. Don't pay them any heed.

"Heart rate for your age" is BS too. My "220 minus your age" max heart rate would be 168. I regularly go ino the high 180s and my working max is 197. The highest I've ever seen since I took up cycling 3 years ago (with a proper heart rate strap on) is 208.

• Naturally, men will have higher VO2 maxes than women. Men typically have more muscle mass and higher hemoglobin levels, which can affect VO2 max outcomes. Altitude: Due to the decrease in oxygen content, aerobic capacity is reduced at higher elevations. This results in decreased performance times.