This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Terrible VO2 Max

My VO2 Max just keep getting worse according to my Vivosport, not saying it's defective, it's probably just me, but nothing I do seem to improve it, just keep getting worse. I need some advice please.
I'm 5'6'', 150lb, 33 years old. Been running for a month and a half and apparently no improvement. I can only go at a very slow pace, about 12min per mile to keep my HR below 160. What's wrong with me, lol. At this rate I don't see a way to get under 20min on a 5k race. Please help! ciq.forums.garmin.com/.../1263601.png
  • Maybe too much too soon w/o enough rest? Might be good to research some training plans or find a running/tri forum to ask on.

Also, at the end of the day if you're going to get super-serious the Vivosport probably isn't the most accurate thing in the world, although it seems to be a nice doo-dad to help keep you moving...
  • I cannot see any vo2 max data in my garmin app. Is yours regularly updating each time to log a cycling or running event?
  • It takes a few weeks to months to get a read on your Vo2 max (whether its accurate is another story) but you should be paying attention to the trend which is generally more accurate then the actual number as vo2 max is really calculated in a lab. Are your runs improving? Vo2 max should ideally be calculated on your best runs, like race runs, that are flat road...not trails and such. See what it looks like in a year and start improving your times to get the 12 min mile down to like 8 mins in a race
  • When are the VO2 readings calculated...is it calculated each time you record an activity such as cycling, or any of the move IQ events?

Cheers
  • It requires you to record the event and use GPS/HR (according to the manual). That's for running/walking. I don't think the vivosport does it for biking as for the other devices (VA3+) you need an external sensor.

• Thanks

The Connect app does has a drop down for VO2 max cycling in addition to the normal VO2.

I use gps & hr for each of my cycle sessions...interesting that I can bring up he VO2 reading on my Vivosport device...but doesn’t appear in the app.

Any other cyclists seeing this?
  • My VO2 Max just keep getting worse according to my Vivosport, not saying it's defective, it's probably just me, but nothing I do seem to improve it, just keep getting worse. I need some advice please.
    I'm 5'6'', 150lb, 33 years old. Been running for a month and a half and apparently no improvement. I can only go at a very slow pace, about 12min per mile to keep my HR below 160. What's wrong with me, lol. At this rate I don't see a way to get under 20min on a 5k race. Please help!

same here. i started running and "feel" improvements, but my F5 VO2 max keeps going down and states i have the body of a 60 year old male. that's disappointing and kinda worrying
  • I've had my Vivosport for 2 weeks, tomorrow, and I commute on bicycle to and from work (1/2 hour each way). I've used the GPS/HR each time and V02 Max is 31. I can assure you that is not correct. I'm tempted to do the manual V02 Max via walking, and may eventually do so if this doesn't update.
  • ElRobbo,

I'm sorry to say that your vivosport isn't designed to calculate VO2max during cycling activities, only during running and walking. The good news is that it doesn't take much running or walking to keep your fitness levels updated.
  • Thanks for the update. It's disappointing, to say the least, but now I know. Overall, I'm still fairly happy with the Vivosport (as compared to the HR+, which is not to be used for bicycling).