This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

GPS Data catastrophic and miles/kilometers calculating Error

Hello,

I was looking through the topics here and wonder why noone else has those problem I have. I cannot imagine being the only one since this seems to be a programming error of the app/phone software.

So I have 3 problems that make my vivoactive luxe unusable. 

A little background information first:

We (since it's technically my wife's) own the watch since January 3. It's a used watch but it's in good condition and less than a year old. Of course I did a factory reset before using it.

Problem 1, maybe already fixed:

When first trying to test out the watch, it wouldn't connect/sync to the phone for virtually anything without me manually shutting down the app on the phone and restarting the App. Since the watch updated itself to Software 3.7 this SEEMS to be gone. But it's only one day testing so far.

Problem 2, the my be a common/known issue:

GPS accuracy is horrible. The first run, I thought it could be the phones gps that's wrong. But today, the second run (see screenshot attached), we used the phone with the addidas running App the same time, which delivered perfect gps results. It's only the watch that's way off. 

I've figured while reading here in the forums, that this might be a bluetooth connectivity issue. The phone is carried in a sports phone holder for the upper arm, the watch is on the wrist of the other hands side arm. So it's approximately 1 meter distance between the phone and the watch. There shouldn't be problems. But that's what it is. We haven't tried out manually turning "intelligent" battery optimisations off jet, since this should not be an issue, but that's something we could try. This cannot solve

Problem 3 though, the big one:

This seems to be a catastrophic Software failure. First thing I did was set the watch and app to metric since I live in Germany. So I set metric on the watch, "on the phone for the watch" and "on the app for the phone/app itself". 

The problem is, all distance data recorded from the watch is multiplied wrongly with the factor 1,61. That means when we run 1 kilometer in 5 minutes, the app says we were running 1.6 kilometers in 5 minutes, therefore giving us a flattering but plainly wrong pace and distance. This is mayor and I don't understand how noone else seems to have this problem. I figured it's a 1.6 factor since this is the only thing I could imagine this problem can be rooted in but that's just a guess, could also be a random calculating error.

The first run we did yesterday was about 4.5 kilometers in reality and the watch counted 7.8 so this was roughly a 1.6 factor in inaccuracy. The second run today was a lot closer with 7 kilometers in reality and 10 kilometers in the garmin App. Still horrible wrong and could be a combination from too short measured gps and multiplied this too short signal with a factor of 1.6, giving me a too long distance.

So let me show you the comparison of the addidas running data and the garmin data. This is mayor, it's not a little off, it's just completely unusable. Since I bought the watch used, there is no sending back the watch and I cannot think of those problems being problems of my specific watch unit, this seems to be software issue that should impact all vivomove luxe watches.

But see yourself, the training data:

Gps from the first run was even more catastrophic but the second run is better to show off, because of the direct comparison with the addidas running App.

This was tracked on the same phone the same time. First run there was no second app tracking and the garmin App was running in the foreground.

Phone is a oneplus 5 with Android 10. Not the most recent phone but running fine and as seen in the addidas running App has quite accurate GPS.

Phone has no known bluetooth connectivity issues and is used with bluetooth headsets every day without problems, also connects to the car just fine. Before trying the vivomove luxe, we bought a amazfit GTS 2 (since it looks nice) for Christmas without any bluetooth connectivity issues (but returned it because it had very inaccurate heart rate data. Also I bought the much more expensive Garmin to avoid more experiments with unreliable chinese products and now I'm having even more problems since I cannot just return the watch...).

Software of the watch was 2.4 at the first run and I think 3.7 on the second. Didn't really impact the results.

Those 3 problems in combination let me ask the question how could this product be used by anyone? Also this seems to be software issues not related to this specific unit. At least the vastly wrong distance data that's used to record speed and anything cannot be a problem of my unit. Especially not to explain is, the app shows the map. With a ruler I could figure those lines not to be 10 kilometers but around 7. And still the garmin App calculates this wrong distance.

• Next step: I did another reset with the watch and connected it to my phone. (Oneplus 8 Pro). Now I guess I need to do some sports to test the watch out... Didn't plan to but I think there is no other way to test if it works. The setting up process seemed to work better this time. When setting up the watch the first time it lost connection quite a lot and rebooted two times. This time it was a flawless process. Maybe it's better now... We"ll see...

• OK, GPS seems fine now. Distance also fine. Heart rate is really strange, but this could also be me that hasn't really done anything in the last few years. Maybe I should get a SmartWatch as well, if the heart rate readings are correct, I really should do some sports.... But now the next step is to reinstall the watch at my girls phone and let she try again. 

• So summary, garmin lost a customer and a half.

As I wrote, I paired the vivomove with my oneplus 8 pro and it was working as intended. I was pretty pleased with the watch which lead to a false conclusion. 

The false conclusion was, it must have been me that did something wrong with the first try on the oneplus 5.

So that lead me to order a new garmin Venu for me, the luxe should go back to my girl.

But that didn't work out at all. First of all, the Venu had a terrible battery life with everything turned on. Sure that's with everything turned on but with amazfit watches I got like 3 times the battery life with the same function always running. But that's not the main issue. There were 2 issues occuring the same day. First of all, the Venu without any reason dropped from 98% battery when I went to bed to 0% at around 4 am. After all this problems with watches I really don't want to have stuff like this happening in the second night. 

The second reason was the luxe. So long story short, even with everything set up from start, there was no way to get it going. Still GPS almost non existent and it still cannot figure out what's miles and what's kilometers.

So there was only one option so far. The Venu was sent back and the lux is on my wrist again. She has no smartwatch so far.

I'm gonna make another try with amazfit with the gts 2 mini. I'm expecting some problems again but this time the watch is cheap at least... About the Luxe, I'm not sure if I keep it or if I'll try to sell ist. Today it just died without warning, could be the battery because it's a year old but just dropping from 20% 0% without warning was nothing it did before. Could be a one time thing I don't know.

So all in all, all amazfit and garmin watches a had so far seems to be beta product without proper testing. The only difference is, garmin is more expensive and the heart rate monitoring kinda works quite well. 

I think smartwatches need some more years...

• So summary, garmin lost a customer and a half.

As I wrote, I paired the vivomove with my oneplus 8 pro and it was working as intended. I was pretty pleased with the watch which lead to a false conclusion. 

The false conclusion was, it must have been me that did something wrong with the first try on the oneplus 5.

So that lead me to order a new garmin Venu for me, the luxe should go back to my girl.

But that didn't work out at all. First of all, the Venu had a terrible battery life with everything turned on. Sure that's with everything turned on but with amazfit watches I got like 3 times the battery life with the same function always running. But that's not the main issue. There were 2 issues occuring the same day. First of all, the Venu without any reason dropped from 98% battery when I went to bed to 0% at around 4 am. After all this problems with watches I really don't want to have stuff like this happening in the second night. 

The second reason was the luxe. So long story short, even with everything set up from start, there was no way to get it going. Still GPS almost non existent and it still cannot figure out what's miles and what's kilometers.

So there was only one option so far. The Venu was sent back and the lux is on my wrist again. She has no smartwatch so far.

I'm gonna make another try with amazfit with the gts 2 mini. I'm expecting some problems again but this time the watch is cheap at least... About the Luxe, I'm not sure if I keep it or if I'll try to sell ist. Today it just died without warning, could be the battery because it's a year old but just dropping from 20% 0% without warning was nothing it did before. Could be a one time thing I don't know.

So all in all, all amazfit and garmin watches a had so far seems to be beta product without proper testing. The only difference is, garmin is more expensive and the heart rate monitoring kinda works quite well. 

I think smartwatches need some more years...