This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

VO2 Max Accuracy (2)

I walk 3.5 miles daily in approx.. 55 minutes (timed activity). Feel great but my fitness age this year has risen from 32 to 64.

Is VO2 Max a reliable indicator, at least on vivomove hr?

This is not a criticism of Garmin watches but I just don't want to waste my time monitoring VO2 Max if its unreliable? (or if there's a more accurate option)

One other possibility is that I bought my wife a garmin watch recently. She just uses it to count steps (no timed activity) but I thought this may be interfering with my data? But my app shows only 1 device connected (vivomove hr) and my wifes app only shows 1 device connected (vivomove style)

I got this off google "The VO2Max estimate compares your HR (as a % of maxHR) to your power output. Garmin/Firstbeat claim accuracy to within 5% (which is not bad for consumer grade electronics)"

so if I decrease my maxHR setting on my mobile app, my HR (as a % of maxHR) should increase. Therefore if my power output (walking distance over time) remains constant then my VO2 Max should also increase. But this is not happening?

Note: I've had to duplicate this entry (forums.garmin.com/.../vo2-max-accuracy) to edit it. If possible an edit feature would be quite useful.

• Is VO2 Max a reliable indicator, at least on vivomove hr?

On the vivomove hr it's a pretty rough estimate, even when the underlying data (heart rate) is accurate. It becomes even less accurate when the data is not 100% accurate (optical hr sensors are notorious for inaccuracy in many conditions).

One other possibility is that I bought my wife a garmin watch recently. She just uses it to count steps (no timed activity) but I thought this may be interfering with my data?

If you use separate devices and separate garmin connect accounts, then there is no way of interference.

I got this off google "The VO2Max estimate compares your HR (as a % of maxHR) to your power output. Garmin/Firstbeat claim accuracy to within 5% (which is not bad for consumer grade electronics)"

This is a general description on how a vo2max estimate works on wrist worn devices. It might be slightly different on the vivomove hr, because the device has no way of gauging your power output reliably, especially when walking.

If possible an edit feature would be quite useful.

I can edit my own posts. There's a "More" button beneath the post, and there you should find "Edit".

• ok thanks for that.

when I first started using vivimove hr I was happy (at 67) to find out I had a fitness age of 32 so I was disappointed to see it recently increase to 66.

However that was before covid and regularly working out at the gym and I did go a bit too far and made myself ill.

So maybe a word of warning to others at my age, especially if VO2 is not that accurate, not to be too concerned with just fitness age but both fitness and your health? 

(but Garmin are really good and just bought myself a garmin etrex gps to better monitor my walking),