This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Digital part of face is not lighting up

Hey everyone,

The digital part of my watch face is no longer lighting up for almost a month. The digital part still works because it vibrates when I tap or swipe, but it is not lighting up. I know I do not have it on low brightness because I have checked it in the dark multiple times. I have been having this problem since I got orange notification boxes on my app telling me Garmin was having problems and was trying to fix them. Today, the hands on the watch have gotten so off of the actual time that I can no longer use the watch without calibrating it. Does anyone know how to fix this? I bought it off of Amazon 2 years ago and have really loved it, but now I can't even use it as a regular watch anymore. I thought it would fix itself after Garmin resolved it's issues, but I no longer have orange notification boxes and my watch is still broken Disappointed

• The same thing happened to me, my Vivomove HR is about two and half year old. In my case the display brightness started to get lower and lower and after few weeks it disappeared completely. I can actually barely see the display in a completely dark room, but it is not readable.

The warnings you were getting in the app are not related. That was an issue with Garmin's servers, where they store all of the user data.

There have been others reporting the same problem with watches about two years old. I think it is the display that deteriorated over time. The display used in the Vivomove HR is of a type called OLED (Organic Light Emitting Diode). It consumes less energy than a LCD screen with a backlight, but some of them tend to have limited life.

It can either be that we were unlucky and got a watch from a production batch with weak displays or the type of AMOLED display used in all of the Vivomove HR is not very high quality and its useful life is not very long.

If that is the case, now that the watch has been out for over two years, there might be more and more cases like this.

Other than this my watch too still works well. Too bad the display did not last. I ended up buying a Vivimove Style, it was a good upgrade for me. It has a dual color display, connected GPS, a few more functions and aluminum case (I got the silver model with moss band).

• The same has happened to mine, its also 2 years old. It was still working as a pedometer and as a watch but now I need to link it to a new phone and can't see the numbers to input the Bluetooth code... if anyone can help or suggest anything that would be amazing

• Something I noticed on my Vivomove HR once the display completely disappeared is that in a totally dark room you can still see the display VERY faintly. You could try to do the pairing in those conditions, you might be able to read the pairing code, perhaps using a magnifying glass. The important thing is that the room is completely dark and you wait for your eyes to adapt the the darkness, once you have set up your phone (the brightness of the phone screen will desensitize your eyes)

• Same for me, my watch start to lower brightness and totally dark at corner. I think it will get complete dark soon. Cannot believe Garmin use such cheap low quality screen. They are not worth to trust. I will turn to China famous brands HUAWEI or MI, they provide many more features and cost less.Rage

• Same here - LED died after 2 years. I'm not a happy customer.

• Same Here. One can move the hands on the watch, if necessary, with My Garmin app, but otherwise it is quite an expensive toy to have - if the display is not working.

• Hey there! Can you post a screen shot of the device? This thread is quite old so I want to be sure I am understanding. Is your screen no longer readable? Are you located in the US or CAD?

• I jumped on to get some answers for my watch issue. I have posted some images below. Mine was purchased in Feb 2019 so has also reached that two year old stage. It began fading on the left about two weeks ago. I have added a couple of images below. You can't see the feet clearly or the step icon. I have sold noticed I have to tap a number of times to make the hands move away from the display. I'd love some answers too :) 

• Have you by chance performed a reset on this device?