This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Significant battery drain for Vivoactive 3 after 7.70 firmware update

I am not sure when exactly my Vivoactive 3 updated to version 7.70. But it was sometime recently. And for the last few days I am noticing that the battery life of my Vivoactive 3 has gone down significantly! I am only getting about 1 day of battery life on a full charge, sometimes even less than 24 hours!

My watch is more than 2.5 years old and when I measured my battery life a month or two ago, I was easily getting more than 5 days on a full charge with heart rate measurement on. And I believe I was getting around 5 days on a full charge even a few weeks ago. But this week I am suddenly noticing less than a day of battery! I am very upset with this sudden and massive decrease in battery life. Looking at the forums here, it seems like many people are experiencing poor battery life with the latest update. I am very disappointed with Garmin for this poor quality update and I really hope they fix it so that my watch is usable again! It is such a great device and I am upset that bad software updates may be causing such massive problems! Please fix it!

• Well, this is disappointing. Been a faithful customer for 5 years starting with the VA2. Clearly, Garmin is not being faithful back. If they are forcing an upgrade then I'm going to spend my money elsewhere. My question to all of you is what's your next go to non Garmin watch?

• they get additional pure margin providing refurbished watches for half the price as in most cases users are not offered free exchange

• Coros Pace 2 or Polar Vantage M for me a novice in running

• In fairness, I can't prove if this issue is related to a version of software, or just coincidence.  My vivoactive 3 is 3 years old and likely done around 500 charge/discharge cycles, and I don't know if the batteries are expected to last much longer than this anyway?... This is the first time I've experienced such a problem, so I've decided to give them the benefit of the doubt, and am considering taking up the refurbished option (they have offered me the vivoactive 4... however I'm still waiting on a price).

• Due to the issue I now bought Coros Pace 2 - battery should not be problem there. It was launched last autumn, so there are still issues with start-HR to be solved. if you are starting running, features running power without pod ... GPS is very accurate (VA3 was way off and defective after 1year, in VA1 GPS was perfect lbut looking cheap). Anyway Garmin should not be too self-confident. There are other options to go, if there are serious problems with their watches.

• Update on my watch following a Factory Default reset.  A week ago, I did a factory default on the watch followed by a power cycle.  Didn't add back my meditation app, or make any other changes other than to a couple of the displays and whatever was stored in my configuration.  Battery drain has been nominal since then, a bit higher then when the watch was 'new' (refurbished received August 2020).  It seems like it still credits me with extra elevation gain and stairs, got 75 flights on a 1 mile jog this morning, and I can't finish an 11 mile hike anymore without running out of juice but I only have to charge 3 times a week, once before and after the hike and once midweek.  Will try adding back my meditation app next week.

Probably there are more than one problem here, but for my watch this seems to have resolved the power issue for the recent release.

• Hey there! Can you keep me updated on the drain when you install that app back! This information is helpful! Thank you! 

• Hello, I've the same Vivoactive 3 with years old. What did you do for activate a refurbished option?
    Thank's

• Hi Adricharlie, I call their support line and described my problem and they offered me straight away.

Cheers

• Please tell more!!! Do they offer a marathon training plan (on the website there is one but marked Stryd so I wonder if it will be available without Stryd pod)? Are there any features like recovery time and stuff? What's your general impression of the ecosystem? Thank you.