This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

How to see the map in my phone

How can I see the map (GPS) in my phone. My friend can see il but me. 

• I'm not sure what you are asking but I'll take a guess.  Are you asking during an activity, you would like to see that activity shown on your phone in real time?

If that is what you are looking for, good news, I do this on occasion and it works great. It is a work around as there is no direct way to have an activity show in the Garmin Connect Mobile app because the app only display activities that have been stored.  Since your activity is ongoing, it is not stored yet.  Alas, here's the workaround:

1. Add your own email address to your list of people to receive LiveTrack notification
    2. Enable Live Track when you start your activity.  I use AutoStart so my wife gets my location anyway, so this happens automatically. Since my email is on the list of recipients, I get a copy of the notification email as well.
    3. When you want to see your track, simply open the email you received on your phone and click the button to open the LiveTrack

You are now seeing what anyone else is able to see on your LiveTrack.  Yes, it is a bit of a funky workaround but it works fine.  I use it when hiking or walking on occassion to see where I made a turn, when I'm re-intersecting a track, or any of the other content displayed on LiveTrack.  

• Just a word of caution. I tried it and it works, when the phone is near to the watch. On the golf course it was vibrating and showing me that it could not connect every 15 minutes or so. When I clicked it and wanted to press 'Ok' it froze the whole watch and I had to hard reset it (gave me some distraction on the course as you can imagine). So never auto start this when your phone would not be near always.  

• The phone's proximity to the watch would have no involvement in any issues you may be seeing with this approach.  The phone is obtaining the screen content shown by displaying a web page from Garmin servers.  It does not matter if your phone is next to the watch or 1000 miles away, it is just accessing a web page in your choice of phone browser.

The phone needs to be within bluetooth reception distance to your watch for LiveTrack to work to begin with.  The watch provides GPS coordinates and data to your phone via Bluetooth, the phone then uploades it to Garmin LiveTrack at some periodic interval.  This is then used by the Garmin servers to generate the web page you are looking at in a browser whether on your phone or a computer.  If the watch can't remain in Bluetooth communication with the phone, LiveTrack can't get watch content to upload through your phone.

Whatever funky situation you were experiencing is a function of your phone's browser communication with the Garmin servers.  If you leave the web page displayed on the phone for an extended period of time, it it going to try to keep updating the LiveTrack web page.  Garmin's servers don't seem to be so robust when doing this whether from a phone or a computer.  I'd suggest looking at your track and then exiting that web page, starting it back up from the email link when next you want to see location.  

As I noted initially, this is not an intended solution from Garmin to let you see track real time, just a workaround using a secondary method in LiveTrack.  I doubt even Garmin can vouch for the long term stability of it.

• For clarity, I understand how it works. I had automatic start and it works great for walking, I just did not bring my phone to the golf course and experienced (due to auto start) the messages that it could not connect to the phone (annoying until I clicked it and the watch froze on me).