This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Vivoactive 3 music widget not working anymore

Hi All,

I've been using the watch to listen to music when I exercise for about 1.5 years, but recently the face of my Garmin music widget has changed, and it no longer functions.  Now it just displays the play, back, forward buttons, and then below it shows the "random play" icon and the ellipsis "... "  when I touch the ellipsis it goes to another screen  showing volume icon, repeat icon and the skip 30s forward/back icons all strangely aligned against the other edge of the screen. 

When I pair with my headphones, the watch searches, finds and pairs, but the "play" button won't start music.   BTW, the headset works just fine when paired to other devices.  I tried pairing the watch with a different headset, and it pairs, but the controls on the watch still won't play anything.

I know i have music on the watch, as I've had it there for a year and a half, and it shows up when connected to Garmin Express software and I can add/remove music. 

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the widget.  uninstalled and reinstalled the headset as well.  

I am on software version 5.40, and phone app is version 4.25.2.1

Any ideas?  thanks, tim

• Experienced the same issue and have researched this on the web.  Cannot find an answer but it appears that garmin staff has requested people to contact them directly to resolve this.  

• Sorry for the prior mis-post, I had the same missing controls for a few weeks, was waiting to see an answer, when none was forthcoming I started to poke around the watch, in a settings screen or two, eventually the music controls all came back, withOUT a software update, uninstall, or reinstall.  I'm sorry, I don't recall what I did, but it took ~two minutes and it didn't require any ~heroic efforts or even connecting my watch to my p.c....

Bon chance,

Mark

• Hi all.  JUST in case anyone else has this issue and sees this post (which I did when I had this problem) I did, with help from Garmin, get this figured out.  When you go into the music app and only see the play button, etc as mentioned in the initial post press and hold the screen.  That will bring you into the music menu.  First option will be "Music Providers".  Go into that menu option.  On my watch I only have music I have moved over so it gives me two options in this menu, "My Music" and "Control Music on Phone".  Tap the "My Music" menu option.  That should fix it.  That was my issue.  The controls were set to "Control Music on Phone".  I SWEAR I did not change this:)  But I did see that a couple days ago there was a small software item that was sent to my phone through Garmin Connect so can only guess it "switched it".  Back to working fine. (And I assume that this is what mabarnett hit when "cruising around in the settings".  Happy Listening!

• Just to clarify - "press and hold the screen" while in the music widget

• after numerous searches to find solution.......this one worked. i too never switched anything, but there was a software update reset 

• THANK YOU SO MUCH.  I did not change my settings either, but it was also set to "Control Music on my Phone" instead of Spotify App.  I love this watch when it works but it is so buggy.  Still can't get the text messages to show on my phone anymore - but that will be digging around in another thread.

• Hello! Glad to see you were able to get this working.  I am happy to help with the notifications. Are you paired with an iPhone or Android?

• I have had the same problem previously and this solution fixed it.  However, it’s doing the same thing more recently but this solution doesn’t work for some reason.  I only have musics via Spotify which appears in the “Music Providers” menu but when I click on it and choose a playlist it just returns to the play button screen with no music on it etc.  Does anyone know what else might work? 

• Managed to solve my own problem and thought I should inform you all.  I uninstalled and reinstalled spotify, synch my watch after both uninstallation and reinstallation.  I then went into spotify library in my music app, which was still logged in, and found it still wouldn't work.  I then scrolled down in the spotify music library on my watch to "update downloads".  I clicked this and after the update it worked fine.  Hope this helps anyone with the same issue.