This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Corrupt FIT File - Marathon Data

Hello - I completed my first marathon with my Garmin vivoactive 3 yesterday (not my first marathon overall) and was excited to have the activity data.  Unfortunately, between stopping my watch at the finish line and waiting for the cooldown alert, the activity ended and was not saved.  I was able to recover a .fit file that appears to be from yesterday using a file recovery program, but am not sure how to read the data from this or make it compatible with other .fit files to upload into Garmin Connect.  It seems like a number of people on this board have helped with similar issues fixing a potentially corrupt .fit file.  Would anyone be willing to help me?

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 4 years ago

sorry to hear about your mishap

let's hope your recovery scan got the real data ;-)

without the file, no solution Slight smile

with your consent we can have a look at your file with FitFileRepairTool

zip the fit file and upload here in the forum, or provide a link to it on a cloud storage

happy & safe sporting

• Thank you for offering to take a look.  Attached is the file.

9A680019.zip

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 4 years ago in reply to FunRunner

congratulations with the marathon

a lot of messy data in between your actual data

also file recording to the fit file ended abruptly

cutting and import/export with Fit File Tools section remover

fitfiletools.zip

happy & safe sporting

• This looks mostly accurate and is exciting not to have lost everything!  Thank you!

• Hello! I have a very similar situation - I did a 21-mile run on Saturday but my vivoactive 3 music hung up during the save and the file seems to have got corrupted. Would you be so kind to take a look? This is the longest-ever run I did so it would be such a bummer to lose the data/record... Thank you in advance for your help!

2019-10-12-07-13-18.zip

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 4 years ago in reply to Dream Big LIC

the fit file contains 11 miles

inserted filelength, recalculated checksum and import/export with Fit File Tools section remover

4212.fitfiletools.zip

happy & safe sporting

• Former Member KUDOS for helping out!

• Thank you so very much!!! You are the best!!! Too bad it didn't record the entire run, but I'm glad to see at least the first half of the record recovered!

Anyone has any idea why the recording stopped at Mile 11? The watch kept displaying the pace, HR, cadence etc after that point (and I don't even remember pausing it around there on the map) and the watch still had more than 30% battery left when I finished at Mile 21, 4 hours and a few minutes later. This was the first time I used my Garmin for this long, and I am now worried if this might happen again on the marathon day... Wondering if this was caused by too many pauses, or if the watch didn't have enough space to store the data, or what else could have been the cause. Shall I do a factory reset? Any advice is highly appreciated!!

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 4 years ago in reply to Dream Big LIC

Best you could do is contact Garmin Support by phone and tell them about your mishap.

Be sure to get a case number. This way Garmin can follow up and combine similar cases.

Recording to the fit file just stopped or internal saving got broken.

Personally do not use stop/start button during an activity....feels like cheating Slight smile

Resting, recovering is also part of the training.

When your ACTIVITY folder contains many FIT files, time to backup/clean it.

Success with the coming Marathon Thumbsup

happy & safe sporting